GUINEA HENS MATING

chickenweirdo1

Songster
Mar 23, 2016
Massachusetts
WILL MY GUINEA COCK MATE WITH MY REGULAR CHICKENS?
hmm.png

I agree with redguinea. As long as your guineas have mates of their own kind, they are unlikely to try mating with your chickens. We've been raising guineas and chickens together for years and haven't had a hybrid hatch yet.

Your guinea cock may try to mate your hens if they were raised together and/or there aren't enough female guineas. I'm in the process of selling one of my guinea pairs, because although the male has a female guinea mate, he frequently tries to mount my chickens. The chickens; however, want nothing to do with him, so it usually ends in yanked out feathers and lots of squawking. The dominant male guinea keeps him away from the rest of the guinea flock, so perhaps the problem could be resolved if the cock in question had a few more guinea girls,

In short, it isn't likely to be a problem, but you want to observe your flock regularly for any problematic behavior.

I was wondering the same. I have 3 chicken hens and 2 Guinea Cocks. They follow the chicken hens everywhere and the 2 Guinea cocks keep fighting . I had to hose them apart. I did see a much of feathers on ground from one of my hens. Not sure if anything happened. I originally got them for ticks, but they are very loud and keep chasing the hens around. They also block coop entrance at night and others cant get in. I am thinking about finding them a home with other Guineas.

Back
Top Bottom