Guinea Keets - the Goonies stick together, tee hee....

Mojo Chick'n

Empress of Chickenville
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Republic of Chickenville
Heya all -

I got to tell ya about my guinea babies today. It was SO hot - 94 with a heat index even higher. We had a breeze, but it was warmish, too. The poor chickens were panting, I changed their water about 4 times today to keep it cool for them.

BUT - my guinea keets are only 5 weeks old, and not very big, and I've been keeping them in the brooder cage (which is inside the regular coop) to keep them safe from the bigger chickens. Well, it was so hot, I decided to let them into the general population, and keep an eye on things, to make sure they were ok.

I had nothing to worry about. Firstly, they are hyper little buggars - they came out of their cage and began to fly and flutter all over the place, and generally disrupted the older chicken chicks so much, they didn't know how to take them. (the chicken chicks are 9 weeks old).

My old rooster, George, decided to set them straight, and came up to one and pecked at it - not hard, just a "I'm the boss" peck. This little keet stared him down and pecked him back ! LOL Poor George was so startled he just looked at it a minute, and walked away.

One of my hens thinks she is the big bad boss, so she came up to them and started to peck at them. Now, with the chicken chicks this works and they run away -- with the keets, they all mobbed her and followed her everywhere for awhile, acting like she was their mommy. The poor hen went running out the chicken door into the yard to escape them.

I just stood there laughing my butt off, and figured they can stay out full time now. I doubt anyone is gonna bully them.

Peace -
Meriah

I love me some guineas. I'm about to put another order in to McMurray for 30 assorted... I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your flock!

I have never had guineas -- they sound like such strange little creatures!
lol.png

Another funny thing about the keets coming out party -

I have a broody hen, who has been insisting on laying in a box for about a month now. I keep taking her eggs, she still sits.

Well, after the chicken chicks came out of the brooder cage, then the guinea keets, I figure she thinks that is where chicks come from, and if she sits in the brooder cage she'll get chicks of her own. I went in yesterday evening to close the coop up, and she had made a little nest depression for herself inside the brooder cage.

LOL Maybe I ought to let her hatch a few eggs in there, just to make the old biddy happy.

Peace -
Meriah

Back
Top Bottom