Guinea limping and hoarse voice

R3M1X

Chirping
May 14, 2019
Norlina, NC
Yesterday I noticed one of my very prominent (loud and outspoken) female guineas was not very loud when she made the "Buh-crahh" call it is very much at the same hushness and hoarseness of my adult drake duck. Now today I noticed that she is limping and lays down mostly. She can scoot away pretty well but stays to the ground, when I tried to catch her to see if she had any noticable injuries. I found no injuries or swelling. As a precaution for her throat I tried giving her some coconut oil, but she bit me more than the oil solid i was offering lol. Cant blame her even if we were best buds when she was a tiny little keet. I put her back on the ground outside since the others are free ranging too. She has scooted around a bit but mainly just sits and preens her feathers or tried to make her calls.
When I was able to catch her she had heavy breathing like if you where to hear someone breathing hard through their nose. I just assume that is like a stress breathing since I had caught and held her. After a couple minutes her breathing wasnt as audible until we both readjusted cause her to bite me another time lol.
Anyway, could this be something little like a sprain or is it something worse like respiratory problems? I kind of worry because I always catch the guineas and chickens scratching in my compost pile (which is mainly a mix of their poo and food waste :sick)

Yesterday I noticed one of my very prominent (loud and outspoken) female guineas was not very loud when she made the "Buh-crahh" call it is very much at the same hushness and hoarseness of my adult drake duck. Now today I noticed that she is limping and lays down mostly. She can scoot away pretty well but stays to the ground, when I tried to catch her to see if she had any noticable injuries. I found no injuries or swelling. As a precaution for her throat I tried giving her some coconut oil, but she bit me more than the oil solid i was offering lol. Cant blame her even if we were best buds when she was a tiny little keet. I put her back on the ground outside since the others are free ranging too. She has scooted around a bit but mainly just sits and preens her feathers or tried to make her calls.
When I was able to catch her she had heavy breathing like if you where to hear someone breathing hard through their nose. I just assume that is like a stress breathing since I had caught and held her. After a couple minutes her breathing wasnt as audible until we both readjusted cause her to bite me another time lol.
Anyway, could this be something little like a sprain or is it something worse like respiratory problems? I kind of worry because I always catch the guineas and chickens scratching in my compost pile (which is mainly a mix of their poo and food waste :sick)
Check for gape worm.

Check for gape worm.

So Diatomaceous Earth will aid in deworming them? I used to give it to my flock but I havent for the last 2 months... does that also explain her leg?
She limps very badly since she isnt using the foot at all. When feeling around today the thigh has reaction to me bending it, meaning she acts like she is using it to stand, but the metatarsus and rest of the foot have no reaction to me moving it. Her other foot will grip at my hand when I hold it, but not her left size.

So Diatomaceous Earth will aid in deworming them? I used to give it to my flock but I havent for the last 2 months... does that also explain her leg?
She limps very badly since she isn't using the foot at all. When feeling around today the thigh has reaction to me bending it, meaning she acts like she is using it to stand, but the metatarsus and rest of the foot have no reaction to me moving it. Her other foot will grip at my hand when I hold it, but not her left size.
Diatomaceous will not aid in worming and can actually be a health hazard to poultry. It can harm their lungs just as easily as it harms human lungs.

The foot problem is another issue and may be due to injury. Have you checked to see if she has a slipped tendon?

As for the loss/decrease in voice volume, it can be due to gape worm or something else. In such a case it is a good idea to check for gape worm. If not gape worm then you will need to investigate farther. It may also be related to injury.

Diatomaceous will not aid in worming and can actually be a health hazard to poultry. It can harm their lungs just as easily as it harms human lungs.

The foot problem is another issue and may be due to injury. Have you checked to see if she has a slipped tendon?

As for the loss/decrease in voice volume, it can be due to gape worm or something else. In such a case it is a good idea to check for gape worm. If not gape worm then you will need to investigate farther. It may also be related to injury.

I understand that due to Diatomaceous earth being a fine powder so it can be hazardous if you are constantly breathing it in directly or using it in large quantities in a poorly ventilated area, but when researching there are thousands of references that recommend giving it to the flock either as a mix in to their food or sprinkling it in their dust bath in small amounts. My chickens are mostly outdoor chickens and they only have shelter as an option which only half of them use at night. When I have used Diatomaceous Earth it was always in small amounts mixed into their food and small amounts sprinkled in their dusting areas outside.
As for checking for gapeworm, I have read that I could use a q-tip to check the back of the throat. When doing so I did not detect any worms on the end of the q-tip. I also gently felt for any thing that could possibly be stuck inside her throat, and felt nothing.
As of yet she doesnt seem to be lethargic and is actually alert to things going on around her. She just simply cannot stand, walk, or run properly and she hardly has any voice at all, though she still tries to make her calls.
I have yet to see her eating or drinking anything and she refusing to even when I use a dropper near her beak, though that could also be due to guinea stubbornness.

Back
Top Bottom