Guinea making cooing noises

Here he is -and to be honest, looking at it now, compared to her, he does look brown. Here's a picture of her with her sister some weeks ago, but it's not a very good one. I'd say I'll get one tomorrow but she's been dustbathing in the dirt so she does look "brown" at the moment. Lol. - 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 20201124_004258.jpg
    20201124_004258.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201023_142253.jpg
    20201023_142253.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3
Here he is -and to be honest, looking at it now, compared to her, he does look brown. Here's a picture of her with her sister some weeks ago, but it's not a very good one. I'd say I'll get one tomorrow but she's been dustbathing in the dirt so she does look "brown" at the moment. Lol. - 🤷‍♀️
He is a little darker than my girl. His helmet looks pretty aerodynamic like hers. I'm hoping to hear some buckwheat calls out of her soon. She's fine with the bigger chickens for the most part, but her zoomies scare the bejeezus out of the smaller ones. She also still likes pecking everyone except the lavender roosters.

I don't understand your confusion. The written description says that a brown keet looks similar to a Pearl Gray keet except it is a little lighter.

For me the pics on that site are too small to really tell anything.
Well..first, know that it really is confusion & not being a jerk stomping my foot demanding you agree with me. Whatever color she is, she's still a twirp. But when ppl ask, I sound goofy saying, "well...the breeder said the dad was BD, but I have this mentor online, & he says brown, so -🤷‍♀️"
The description says brown keets start light but molt to a dark brown, so it made sense. But at 3 months, that hasn't happened, and female buffs are darker than males (although her daddy sure looks dark to me).
She's different shades of cream. I have poor quality pics, bc I can't get close enough to her so enlarge what I get, so they are grainy & gray to me. But hers is pretty good.
From GF: Gray, Brown, Buff Dundotte :
20201124_093528.jpg 20201124_093324.jpg 20201124_093613.jpg
Then I looked for older birds & keets:
20201124_104605.jpg
I hope this explains my confusion. You know me being confused isn't unusual.😁

Well..first, know that it really is confusion & not being a jerk stomping my foot demanding you agree with me. Whatever color she is, she's still a twirp. But when ppl ask, I sound goofy saying, "well...the breeder said the dad was BD, but I have this mentor online, & he says brown, so -🤷‍♀️"
The description says brown keets start light but molt to a dark brown, so it made sense. But at 3 months, that hasn't happened, and female buffs are darker than males (although her daddy sure looks dark to me).
She's different shades of cream. I have poor quality pics, bc I can't get close enough to her so enlarge what I get, so they are grainy & gray to me. But hers is pretty good.
View attachment 2423351View attachment 2423356View attachment 2423357
View attachment 2423425
Man, that Buff Dundotte sure looks like my girl! I guess we will really see after her first molt!

View attachment 2423351View attachment 2423356View attachment 2423357
View attachment 2423425
A Brown guinea can have a Buff Dundotte for a father. The genes also come from the mother.

@red horse ranch can you post some pics of your brown guineas?

I searched her threads & saw them @ 6 months. I think I see the issue - GF presents a brown bird, I took it as All brown bird. But a bird w/ streaks of brown is a brown bird? Or is this what they mean by "all colors don't run true"? Example - for a blue merle to meet standards, it shouldn't look like a washed out tricolor. So if there were a guinea standard - ?
Am I getting closer or further down the rabbit hole?:bun

Am I getting closer or further down the rabbit hole?:bun
Yep, I believe that the APA only recognizes Pearl Gray, Lavender and White. You will not find any set standards for other varieties of Helmeted Guinea Fowl.

As you already know the color genetic research on guinea fowl is very limited.

He is a little darker than my girl. His helmet looks pretty aerodynamic like hers. I'm hoping to hear some buckwheat calls out of her soon. She's fine with the bigger chickens for the most part, but her zoomies scare the bejeezus out of the smaller ones. She also still likes pecking everyone except the lavender roosters.
His is really more of a triangle. Hang on - this is PJ & Rosie - if I zoom in on Rosie it blurs too much, but I think you can still see the difference.

Attachments

• 20201124_155438.jpg
    20201124_155438.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 3
His is really more of a triangle. Hang on - this is PJ & Rosie - if I zoom in on Rosie it blurs too much, but I think you can still see the difference.
Oh man you weren't kidding! Hers is definitely smaller, and his has a prominent ridge that goes straight up. Ok, I'll keep my eye on my guineas growth. Hopefully after her first molt I will be able to really tell what her colors are.

Back
Top Bottom