Guinea talk.

There has been a change in plans. I will not be getting her today. My grandfather passed away. My grandmother said that he was cleaning his guns (he has over 200 guns cuz he likes collecting them. They are rifles) and he got up to go get a cup of coffee, while he was walking to the kitchen to get his coffee he fell over and died.

I'm so sorry Clay my prayers are with you and your family.
hugs.gif

I hope it's okay to post this question here! :) My guineas are a year old this month. I only have two. They free range and get along great with my turkeys and geese, and seem content to not have 10 others of their own kind. (of course I could be reading them wrong)

Anyway, I have gone back and forth on their sex for months now. When they were 4 or 5 months old, one of them used to make a buck wheat sounding call every now and then, but nothing consistent and not since they were maybe 6-7 months. They also went through a stage where the one would pick on the other relentlessly, but that slacked off over the winter. They both physically look the same to me. I can't see much if any difference in helmets and wattles. There are no other guineas calling in my area if that matters.

So all that to ask, will a hen still buckwheat if she's the only female and it's a pair? If not, I'm going to assume I have two boys. Yeesh, these birds are confusing the heck outta me! haha

THanks for your help!

I hope it's okay to post this question here! :) My guineas are a year old this month. I only have two. They free range and get along great with my turkeys and geese, and seem content to not have 10 others of their own kind. (of course I could be reading them wrong)

Anyway, I have gone back and forth on their sex for months now. When they were 4 or 5 months old, one of them used to make a buck wheat sounding call every now and then, but nothing consistent and not since they were maybe 6-7 months. They also went through a stage where the one would pick on the other relentlessly, but that slacked off over the winter. They both physically look the same to me. I can't see much if any difference in helmets and wattles. There are no other guineas calling in my area if that matters.

So all that to ask, will a hen still buckwheat if she's the only female and it's a pair? If not, I'm going to assume I have two boys. Yeesh, these birds are confusing the heck outta me! haha

THanks for your help!

It's ok to comment on here. I am new to raising Guineas but if u can catch them look for Spurs or just the little bumps where spurs are starting to grow. That should tell u whether or not they are males or females. Also males tend to be more vocal then females.

There is a thread on this guinea forum and it is : (can you visably sex guinea fowl.) It has lots of tips to be able to tell if your guinea is a male or a female. I don't think a female would change her voice just because she's the only female around. The nostrels have a bigger opening on the males then the females and the waddles are bigger and less attached to the head on the males. Most of the time. The male is more upright then the female when walking. I'm guessing on mine and I think Spider is the boy and Mary Jane is the girl. I hope the thread helps you Then of course the spurs like Clay said. I didn't even know they had spurs.

There is a thread on this guinea forum and it is : (can you visably sex guinea fowl.)  It has lots of tips to be able to tell if your guinea is a male or a female. I don't think a female would change her voice just because she's the only female around.  The nostrels have a bigger opening on the males then the females and the waddles are bigger and less attached to the head on the males.  Most of the time.  The male is more upright then the female when walking.  I'm guessing on mine and I think Spider is the boy and Mary Jane is the girl.  I hope the thread helps you  Then of course the spurs like Clay said.  I didn't even know they had spurs.  

I am not positive that Guineas have Spurs. I am guessin that they do. I will look it up and see if they do it not

Back
Top Bottom