Guinea talk.

Mine aren't spoiled enough to get veggie smoothies! I'm sorry to hear about the trucks, too. The guineas should be fine with the screen going over the top of the fence. They may be a little unhappy about the boundaries, though! They should get out of the coop to free range, though. They need their space.

My chickens and ducks were older when I got the guineas. They sleep in the chicken coop with the chickens but it's like they ignore the chickens and the chickens ignore them. The guineas do like to herd the ducks and if I let them they will herd them into their coop. The only problem is they want to go into the duck coop with them. There is not that much space in the duck coop for them two so I have to crawl into the coop because it is only 4 foot tall and get them out. They also like to tease the ducks they run up to them and stop. The ducks do not like the guineas at all and are afraid of them. They don't hurt the ducks but they do chase and tease them.

Although I'm an animal lover in general, I do like some less than others (fox and coyote have killed a number of my guineas, so they're not my favorites). However, I do love hawks, eagles, and owls, and agree that they are amazing! (I really love almost all birds). We have a lot of bald eagles in our area right now as they are starting to nest along the Mississippi River nearby....they are really impressive! I do worry when I see hawks or eagles when I've got keets, though. So far I've never lost any guineas to birds of prey. The other day, there were some house sparrows hanging out in the guinea flock. I heard the guineas sound their alarm. When I looked out, I saw a hawk land right in the middle of the guineas and grab the sparrow and take off with it. It wasn't big enough to get an adult guinea but could have easily gotten a keet. There is always some threat that you have to worry about, I guess!
After your post about the fisher, I got curious and looked up some info on them. It looks like they are quite a bit bigger than weasels. One interesting thing I found was that fishers are one of the few animals that actually kills and eats porcupine.....now that's impressive!

I didn't realize you had Eagles in Iowa. Of course that would make sense being near the Mississippi. We have only started seeing them regularly in the area again within the past 5 years. I would imagine they could take off with an adult guinea. I think our red tailed hawks would do the same. I believe we lost one to a hawk since the remaining feathers were in a poof circle design rather than a drag like a coyote or fox would make.

They Fishers are quite a bit bigger than weasels and are formidable predators - you mentioned about the porcupine and they will take on a woodchuck as well - they don't have to worry about the quills, but the size is about the same and woodchucks squirm quite a bit. We have a very hard time trying to get rid of them - both trapping and shooting. Fishers are VERY illusive and most people, even those who study them, seldom see them, only the signs of them. Not sure if I mentioned, but I did see one cross the road while I was walking the dog. It was about 2 tenths of a mile away, but I could recognize it's size and slinky body.

http://www.timesunion.com/tuplus-bu...reak-in-Adirondacks-6093213.php#photo-7555022

Here's a link that provides two great photos as well as some info on the history and current population. One very interesting fact that isn't mentioned in this article is that the reproductive cycle of the fisher lasts almost a year. Female fishers give birth in the spring and mate shortly thereafter, but the embryo doesn't implant until the following spring - called is embryonic diapause. Interesting!

That's good that your guineas sounded the alarm. Once when mine were under attack by a hawk, I ran out to chase it away and the guineas were hunkered down in a line end to end. I just looked at them and shook my head. Like that was the best plan they could come up with?

I'm thinking of getting lavender guineas this year but idk if they breed with my pearls if it will come out lavender or pearl. i also heard that they are easily targeted cause their lighter in color

if they breed you could get a varied coloring either pearl and lavender mixed together so dark and light patches, or just a lighter pearl or darker lavender. As far as getting picked on for coloring they should be fine if they get a cut it's easier to spot on the lighter colors but besides that they should be fine

Back
Top Bottom