Guineas and chickens - feeding them together?

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I am seriously thinking about getting some Guineas this spring with my order of chicks. I need some help with feeding them. Do I have to keep them separate and give them different kinds of food? If so, how do you feed them separate once they are sharing the same hen house and run?

Help?!

You can feed them chick starter. Guineas, however, really need higher protein than chickens to grow to their full potential, higher than is good for chicks. 30% gamebird starter is the ideal feed for keets, but naturally, that would be bad for chicks. If you raise them on chick starter, they will most likely be smaller than they normally would be, but they'll survive okay.

I also kept mine with my chickens........they had access to both kinds of feed.......that with higher protein....and to reg chicken layer and scratch...... the chickens didnt bother the Guinea high protein feed.......

I was only addressing the keets, not the adults. As adults, I fed my guineas what my chickens ate since they did live together (at least for awhile). I think to give them the best start, higher protein gamebird feed it better, but after they've developed to close to laying age, about 15 weeks old, regular chicken feed should suffice.

Back
Top Bottom