Guineas Eggs - again

Guineas lay eggs usually through to about October. You have time to get a start on flock thi year Kitty and next year they would be of age to start laying around May.

The guinea eggs are hatching. I have 3 in the brooder. 2 culls. 1 pipped in the bator. 3 eggs still quiet.

Let me tell you, this is my third hatch. Guinea are in no way like chickens to hatch. If anyone says different then they can come here and show me. 28 days at Missprissy's house meals included.

These things are easy to incubate not easy to hatch.

I have been using a Genesis for these eggs in all 3 hatches. I have made sure to use a different Genesis each time.

Day 1 - 23/24 temps holding at 99.7 - 100. Humidity 45%.

Day 24 - hatch - temps 99.7 - 100. Humidity 71%.

1. Eggs ALWAYS start to hatch early - day 25 - 26.

2. Membranes tend to be extremely dried out.

3. No matter how hard you try there are going to be leg problems.

I have 2 hatched with the yolk not fully absorbed. 1 of those with leg problems.

Both are a cull.

2 died in shell after pipping - both extremely dried out membranes.

I have one more batch set to hatch in 2 weeks.

I have never had this trouble with chicken eggs. I know the temps are right on the money.

What gives?

i'm almost tempted to test your guinea eggs under my broodies. they dont hatch chicks until day 24 anyway for some reason...

Under the hen is the way to go, I have had no troubles with a broodie, but in bator only got about 50% hatch rate. My guineas never sat, but my hens sit and raise the guineas, never seem to mind the extra couple days.

man,,,,missprissy!!!! now im bout ready to go in and get the 6 or 7 eggs i stuck in the bator just to try ( trust me i have ENOUGH guineas),,,,candled them last night and all was well,,, least i wont feel so bad if i only get 1 hehe
wink.png

,,,,,,what age is good for a guinea to be supper?

Back
Top Bottom