Guineas have yellow "stuff" on their feathers

MegaDave1

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
I have pictures but can't post due to being a new user. We started noticing yellowish/greenish "stuff" on their feathers about 2 months ago. They're about 6 months old now. They seem to be normal and active (eating, drinking, and recently foraging outside).

Poo seems runny but not bright yellow like the stuff on their feathers. We're wondering if it could be coccidiosis.

The "stuff" is thick like tar and can't be wiped off.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks

Not a clue but I will do some research for you. Sorry that no one has answered yet but this question IS different.

is the "stuff" sticky? is it possible they've gotten access to trees or cut wood that is exuding sap? (or are you saying the "stuff" is under the vent, where poo would collect?)
idunno.gif

I did a lot of searching trying to figure it out but couldn't find anything that seemed to fit. The stuff is on their feathers. The consistency is kind of like dried paste, not really sticky. It's a bright almost fluorescent yellowish/greenish color.

They've been in the coop all winter. I did put a tree branch in the coop, and it's pretty low (I put it in when they were small). The branch is old and dried but maybe there's something on it that they're rubbing against. I think I'll remove it tomorrow morning.

I wish I could post the picture. If you copy this into your browsers address bar you should be able to get to the picture.

//lh6.googleusercontent.com/_8Lq_AAtV7N4/TV8Rvbp9jLI/AAAAAAAACYI/5H3Mck6uJoU/s576/P2180010.JPG

I researched last night for about an hour and could not find any mention of anything like this. Is it a powder? Is it waxy? Does it have an odor?

I did find a reference to yellow UNDER the skin. It was cellulosis.

Back
Top Bottom