Guineas on the porch

shanstark

Hatching
Dec 10, 2016
I hope somebody can help me. My neighbor just called and wants my guineas to stop coming on her porch. Any ideas?

welcome-byc.gif

I don't have any experience with guineas, just chickens. You might get some ideas for how to keep them contained from the guinea forum. One thing I do know...if a neighbor doesn't want your animals on their property, you have to figure out a way to do that for sure.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl

Good luck!

Oh Boy...

There is nothing you will be able to do, except tell your neighbor to eat them if he wants.

My Guineas went to my neighbors ( no little feat). I told him there was no way I could keep them home and shoot them if he wants to. I then explained to him I wish they would stay home because they eat so many wood ticks.

When I said that his ears perked up, and he asked "do they really eat woodticks?"

After I explained woodticks and box elder bugs were some of their favorite foods here, he said they can come over anytime they want. He did say he wished they were a little quieter, I told him I did too, but to get rid of all the bugs they eat without spray or poison made their noises more bearable. He agreed.

It was all over he knows if he kills them I will not be upset. I keep my breeders locked up until I get 500 eggs, then I let them free, Hopefully they will not find the neighbors for a few months after that..

Good luck.. with your gangsters!

Last edited:
G’Day from down under shanstark
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry that I do not have any experience with guineas either but hopefully duluthralphie’s tip about the wood ticks might help soften your neighbour with regards to their visiting.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

The remark about ticks is a true one and one of the major selling points in deciding on guineas. They also are a great alarm system - except they alarm about almost anything, a bucket sitting in the wrong spot, something new added like a broom, leaves falling etc. Another plus is they will mob snakes to get them to move out of their territory.

The remark about ticks is a true one and one of the major selling points in deciding on guineas. They also are a great alarm system - except they alarm about almost anything, a bucket sitting in the wrong spot, something new added like a broom, leaves falling etc. Another plus is they will mob snakes to get them to move out of their territory.

They will mob anything! There is nothing they like better than ganging up and beating the living daylights out of something.

Including each other if the mood hits them.

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

Back
Top Bottom