Guineas or Geese? Which are better flock protectors?

:welcome :frow My suggestion is a covered run/pen with electric wire around it. This coyote knows the electric wire is there. I have also see a fox. Originally a bobcat dug under this fence before the electric wire was put up and killed 14 birds. Now I also have concrete under the gates a heavy duty netting covering the pens. This is a chick grow-out coop.
1546386297663.jpg

My current pen is covered on all sides, including top and ground with chicken wire. So far has prevented dig in. The guineas are mainly to to control snakes and the geese to control the aerial predators

I have a flock of chickens that have dangers all around them, (snakes, hawks, owls, raccoons, neighbors dogs, my dogs, coyotes, foxes, panthers, you name it!), so I was considering getting a flock guardian. No dogs, they're too big. I've narrowed it down to two different options. A flock of guineas, or a single goose?? I've heard many positive reviews from both. My local feed store guy said he had a Toulouse goose that fought a fox that entered his chicken house, and WON! Alternatively I've had someone tell me his guineas fought away a small pack of coyotes that came too close to his yard. What are you guys' experiences with the two species as guardians, and which would you recommend?
I have Guineas and they do a great job at alerting us and the rest of the flock to any danger. I doubt they would fight anything off though. Hard to say - they’ve evaded predators for years. I don’t think anything has ever caught them. Nothing gets into my coop but just a few days ago a fox got one of my hens while she was free ranging. My first few years of owning chickens we never had a loss due to a predator. This was because I had two really good dogs that chased things away or killed a coon if they had to. One of those dogs has passed and the other is not far behind so my birds are really feeling the pressure of predators and they hate being penned up. Not a good time for them right now and we are discussing getting another dog.

Last edited:
All of the chickens from my first batch were gotten by predators, (I was very inexperienced), so I'm just trying to take all of the precautions possible! Especially since I'm leaving for basic training in 2 months, so they'll be left for my mom to care for. She doesn't have a problem with it, she's just not the most attentive/precautionary person with her animals since how she was raised. I'm thinking about putting a Turkey in there instead of a goose, as I'm pretty much looking for something to scare off predators in case my mom doesn't notice a break in the pen. She has some pretty bad ADD so it will probably take her a bit if it does happen, sadly. So something to alarm her when she's inside (the guineas) and things to scare off the aerial predators in case of a breach

All of the chickens from my first batch were gotten by predators, (I was very inexperienced), so I'm just trying to take all of the precautions possible! Especially since I'm leaving for basic training in 2 months, so they'll be left for my mom to care for. She doesn't have a problem with it, she's just not the most attentive/precautionary person with her animals since how she was raised. I'm thinking about putting a Turkey in there instead of a goose, as I'm pretty much looking for something to scare off predators in case my mom doesn't notice a break in the pen. She has some pretty bad ADD so it will probably take her a bit if it does happen, sadly. So something to alarm her when she's inside (the guineas) and things to scare off the aerial predators in case of a breach
Turkeys are just like any other poultry. They need more of their own kind. Turkeys are very social birds. Putting a lone turkey in with a flock of chickens (especially if it is a male) can end up being hazardous to the health of your chickens.

Turkeys are just like any other poultry. They need more of their own kind. Turkeys are very social birds. Putting a lone turkey in with a flock of chickens (especially if it is a male) can end up being hazardous to the health of your chickens.
Yes I'm aware... when I said ill put "a turkey to scare off predators" that didn't mean ill get only one turkey, just one bigger male

Back
Top Bottom