Guineas Wandered Into Our Yard

When I first got my guineas, I lured them into the coop at night using a light. Guineas won't go into a dark building, so if you give them a shelter, they may be more willing to use it if you put a light in it for them. A solar light with a dusk sensor works well for me. Also, mine LOVE dried meal worms (Look in the chicken or bird seed section of your store). It may be an easy way to get them to come running when they see you! :)

My Guineas love white millet. It is in most commercial bird seed, but mine really like parakeet food, for some reason. I don't give it to them a lot but they will now follow me anywhere for it. You may be able to eventually bribe them into a coop or pen with treats like millet, but it may take some time. Without that, you will be hard pressed to get them to do anything or go anywhere they don't want to. Most Guineas have a fairly wild temperament and are flighty and trying to negotiate with them is like trying to talk to a brick wall. Having said all that, I do really love having my Guineas. I wasn't really excited about them at first and only got them because we were over run with ticks and bugs, but now the are my pets as well! (The added benefit of eggs and garden pest patrol is an nice bonus too!)

You can tell the sex of the Guineas by the sound they make. The females will make a 2 syllable "buck-wheat" sound and the males will make a 1 syllable "chi" sound. The males will usually have larger/longer wattles as well.

You can tell the sex of the Guineas by the sound they make. The females will make a 2 syllable "buck-wheat" sound and the males will make a 1 syllable "chi" sound. The males will usually have larger/longer wattles as well.

We just watched a video we have of both of them and by this description we do think they are a pair. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom