GUMP Bread Pepperoni Rolls ... anyone have Variations?

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
The GUMP bread recipe is WONDERFUL made into Pepperoni rolls
smile.png
My family LOVES 'Roni Rolls'. I use Pepperoni (of course
wink.png
) & cheese to fill them. But was wondering what anyone else uses to fill them with besides that? I know spinach is good but Hubby was thinking of wanting a few variations. I didn't want to make 'flop' creations, so I figured you all would surely have ideas.
wink.png
Any suggestions of spices or ingredients would be appreciated
smile.png

Last edited:
I fill mine with sauce, cheese, bell peppers, and pepperoni!
I have seen people fill with broccoli, cooked chicken and cheese!
Sausage and cheese too!
Yum, I'm gonna have to ry thr gump bread recipe!
Brenda

Yea I LOVE the Gump Bread Recipe, so versatile. It's here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=120918
But
my Husband & son while they like to eat roni rolls warm with dipping sauce, they often eat it room temperature... at work for lunch, or they grab one as while walking out the door, to eat at room temperature. So I Welcome All suggestions but was also interested in variations that would be great at room temperature too.

Do you have to steam the broccoli first or can it be added into the 'roni roll' at room temperature

My family LOVES
love.gif
Pepperoni Rolls
love.gif
made with this recipe. :) Just made 2 batches last nite, yum
smile.png
(I'm giving some to family this wkend
wink.png
).

First I make the Gump Bread recipe as it's written in the post... It's here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=120918 After mixing the dough I put it in my rising bowl after I've added olive oil, I turn the dough with a spatula to have the whole dough ball covered in olive oil. Then I cover the bowl with plastic wrap, I lightly let it sit on the dough, it will rise covered with the plastic wrap. I let it sit approximately 30min to rise or until doubled in size.

I make 10 Pepperoni Rolls with this recipe, so to keep them from flattening out in rising I bake them in two 9x13inch pans. I add 5 into each pan (lightly oil sprayed). I prefer a metal pan vs. glass. After the dough doubling in size, I oil my hands well with olive oil I punch the dough down, then separate the dough into 10 balls (you can 'pinch' the dough between your pointer finger & thumb, I've found it's easier than pulling & stretching the dough. I pull up a dough ball & 'pinch' it off. If you get uneven balls don't worry just pinch off some from the larger ones & add to the smaller ones to make them all similar in size. I use one 9x13 pan along with the rising bowl to sit the 10 balls in while I work them into Pepperoni Rolls. I take each ball one at a time & with my hands I make it flatten it into a an approximately 4x6 or 4x7 rectangle. My family Loves cheese & pepperoni & we buy it in bulk at Sams Club, so what works for us is to add 12 pieces of pepperoni (4 rows of 3 slices across----I have the pepperoni overlap slightly so they fit on the dough) & I add on top of the pepperoni -loosely measured- 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella. Then I gently roll up starting from one of the long sides. You have to roll very loosely sometimes even lightly lifting to get the roll to roll up. After rolling up fully, I very lightly stretch the edge that's left onto the roll to make a seal, (so it's dough touching dough with no Pepperoni or cheese in between), then pick up the roll & put it in the pan seam down, while tucking under the long ends (to keep cheese or pepperoni from showing). I line them up in a line longways, barely touching each other. I let them raise until doubled. Our family prefers them larger & light vs smaller & dense, so we wait until they've doubled in size to cook them. I bake them at 350 Degrees for 15 to 18 minutes, generally it takes 15minutes, but I like them brown on the tops so at times it take the extra 3minutes. I let them cool in the pans till the pans are cool to handle, then I gently turn the pans over to flip the Pepperoni Rolls out, then I gently separate them by pulling them at their seam lines & put them right side up onto a cooling rack to let the them cool & their bottoms air out. After cooling I wrap each in plastic wrap. & Watch how quick they disappear. They're great for Hubby's lunch, wkend lunches, sliced & dipped in warmed spaghetti sauce or marinara sauce too.

Sorry so long of a description, wanted to be thorough, Lord knows I myself need detailed descriptions to understand a recipe instructions
lau.gif
Hope your family Enjoys them as much as mine.
wink.png
ya.gif

sausage, onion and mushrooms...yum! cook the sausage,onions and mushrooms together...drain on paper towels. layer on the rolled out bread with mozz and parm cheese...roll up bread,bake till done and dip in hot pizza or maraniara sauce.

I use this recipe alot, and homemade bread instead of frozen, it's yummy!!!

3Meat Stromboli

4Loaves frozen bread
1/2 pound thinly sliced salami
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
1/2 pound thinly sliced pepperoni
1/2 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon pepper
1 egg yolk, beaten

DIRECTIONS
Let dough rise until doubled, according to package directions. Punch down. Roll each loaf into a 15-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Arrange a fourth of the salami, ham, pepperoni and provolone cheese over each rectangle. Sprinkle each with a fourth of the mozzarella cheese, Romano cheese, garlic powder, oregano, parsley and pepper.
Roll up each rectangle jelly-roll style, beginning with a long side. Seal seams and ends. Place seam side down on two greased baking sheets. Brush with egg yolk.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers.

This recipe sounds great----will have to try it!! For a different filling suggestion how about bacon and cheddar or sausage and cheddar for breakfast, or how about ham and swiss?!?! I think all of those sound like yummy variations. Oh-----reubens-----corned beef, swiss and sauerkraut (would gotta drain it good) and dip it into thousand island dressing!!!
I think I gained 5 pounds just thinking about that one!! Heck--why not do southwest---seasoned ground beef and mexican blend shredded cheese.
Okay---I will stop the creative flow for now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom