Gun enthusiasts anything from Hunting to target shooters.

Pics
too bad short barrel semi auto's are restricted here in Canada. (any center-fire shotgun or rifle) has to have a 18.5 inch barrel and overall length of around 26 inch minimum or its a restricted fire arm. (mean it goes to the range and back and that is all it can do) but pump action or any other manual action does not have barrel requirements just overall length of 26 inches.

Pretty much the same here in NY.
My semi auto Remington 1100 has a 18" barrel.

Last fall of all things I had a Badger take up residence in my barn it killed and ate 5 of my hens two of witch were broodys with chicks he ate them all. I finally got him with my 22 magnum I have never seen anything move that much dirt in my life. It took me 2 weeks to get him he mainly only came out at night, he made a mistake early one morning while eating my last broody threw it’s cage. He was 35 pounds of hell.

also what would you guys recommend for a cheap bear defense shot gun? don't really want to carry and use my supernova shotgun maybe its just me but thing is heavy and don't want to beat it up haha.

Do you have a bear problem? Black or grizzly? As in needing to be armed at any second?

Personally if I wanted to put a bear down in defense at close range and didn't want a shotgun with 00 buck, I might think 45 acp in hollow point.

Or cheap, you can get black power pistols. I got the 1858 pistols and they shoot pure soft lead. You can get some short barreled 44 caliber guns for $199 US.

high point makes some bargain basement pistols in decent calibers, but many are very heavy and uncomfortable to shoot, IMO.

Do you have a bear problem? Black or grizzly? As in needing to be armed at any second?

Personally if I wanted to put a bear down in defense at close range and didn't want a shotgun with 00 buck, I might think 45 acp in hollow point.

Or cheap, you can get black power pistols. I got the 1858 pistols and they shoot pure soft lead. You can get some short barreled 44 caliber guns for $199 US.

high point makes some bargain basement pistols in decent calibers, but many are very heavy and uncomfortable to shoot, IMO.
its more for when i go camping up north, and even more so when i want to pick berries up there.

i have to use a shot gun or rifle for bear defense. here in Canada we can not use a handgun for wilderness protection, laws here make handguns go to the range and back and that's it. (can not shoot them on private land just on a licensed range)

also what would your guys thoughts be on a sks for bear defense? got a Russian one, that was pretty cheap. (so using it in the woods not a big deal.)

also i get 5 shots before reloading (in Canada semi autos center fires can only have 5 rounds in the mag) 7.62x39 is cheap to shoot anyways and its about equal to a 30-30 i have been told.

also what would your guys thoughts be on a sks for bear defense? got a Russian one, that was pretty cheap. (so using it in the woods not a big deal.)

also i get 5 shots before reloading (in Canada semi autos center fires can only have 5 rounds in the mag) 7.62x39 is cheap to shoot anyways and its about equal to a 30-30 i have been told.

It's better than nothing, but the 12ga with 00 buck is a better choice. The odds of hitting something vital with the 12ga would be greater than the rifle. Especially in a panic situation when actually aiming a rifle might be lost in the moment.

Hmm, interesting thread.
I've got a teeny time left to turn in my application for LTC. Cross fingers for me I get there in time haha.
And then...
I need something to keep in the mudroom for quick put down of anything not belonging in my backyard.

I'm a smaller lady, yes I do believe this matters. I've shot a small variety of handguns and long guns. I'm a long gun gal no doubt.
Rarely do we see bears causing trouble, they tend to be good neighbors. Biggest common threats are fox, coyote, opossum, squirrel. Yes, the squirrels. I dream of blowing these rotten orchard decimating rats into puffs of fur. Neighbor tells me he watched a Fisher cat prowl through his grass recently. Those things are scary! I'd rather talk to a bear!

I'm in Mass, so fun things are illegal. Half the practical options likely are too.
I'm concerned about the size versus ease of use versus capability of taking out the threats. I've got kids in the house that don't follow rules, must consider.
What do y'all recommend?

Hmm, interesting thread.
I've got a teeny time left to turn in my application for LTC. Cross fingers for me I get there in time haha.
And then...
I need something to keep in the mudroom for quick put down of anything not belonging in my backyard.

I'm a smaller lady, yes I do believe this matters. I've shot a small variety of handguns and long guns. I'm a long gun gal no doubt.
Rarely do we see bears causing trouble, they tend to be good neighbors. Biggest common threats are fox, coyote, opossum, squirrel. Yes, the squirrels. I dream of blowing these rotten orchard decimating rats into puffs of fur. Neighbor tells me he watched a Fisher cat prowl through his grass recently. Those things are scary! I'd rather talk to a bear!

I'm in Mass, so fun things are illegal. Half the practical options likely are too.
I'm concerned about the size versus ease of use versus capability of taking out the threats. I've got kids in the house that don't follow rules, must consider.
What do y'all recommend?

Love the " puffs of fur" comment. Lol.
As far as smaller critters, from squirrels to coyote, a 22 mag is hard to beat.

And don't understand why people are so afraid of a Fisher? Ever heard of a Fisher attacking because you got between mom and young? Nope.

Love the " puffs of fur" comment. Lol.
As far as smaller critters, from squirrels to coyote, a 22 mag is hard to beat.

And don't understand why people are so afraid of a Fisher? Ever heard of a Fisher attacking because you got between mom and young? Nope.

Because: cat like claws mean cat like infections.
Fishers round here are known for day time hunting. Very rarely do any bears in our area pose a danger. They're fairly docile actually, often run off soon as they hear you.

Back
Top Bottom