Gun people question..

Would you carry/keep for defense a auto pistol if threw disability could not manipulate the slide to

• Auto

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Revolver

Votes: 35 74.5%

• Total voters
Quote:
You'll be better off to keep the 38
410 shells from that short barrel don't have much power, and aren't that accurate either.

The whole concept of the 410 revolvers is just a sales gimmick, since there is nothing they do that can't be done better with another firearm
Never owned a 410 revolver an I wont complain about my .38 but I have shot a lot out of a single shot 410 pistol an I really like how it preforms. Now its sure not my 12 gauge an it wont reach like my .44 will but under 30 feet it is devastating for a hand gun. I have not found anything(legal) that competes.

not trying to hyjack the thread but what do yall think would be best for me? i'm short at 4'11" weigh roughly 105-110 from having kids (before i had my babies i weighed 87)

I guess its a matter of what you plan to do with it? Are you going to carry it or stick it in the nightstand till its needed? Also are you going to practice with it (1000 rounds a year) or will you just have it there in case?

I think mom carried a .380 an she was your size. The size of the shell really comes down to what you can shoot effectively. No point in being able to blow someone apart if you cant hit them. .38 or a 9mm is a good starting point.

i'm used to shooting a 12g and 410 shotguns and i would take it out to pratice wouldnt be any use if i couldnt hit the target lol. mainly it would sit away from my kids and be used as protection. as long as i can affoard the rounds the more it will get used to just go out and pratice on some targets, so yea i could very well get 1000 or more rounds out of it in a year

A auto takes practice to handle. Racking the slide, clearing jams takes practice to become second nature. Also autos require being kept very clean an well oiled. If you are willing to put at least 1000 rounds a year threw it an keep it clean an oiled a auto may be your best choice. Capacity an the light single action trigger make them a great choice.

Revolvers are simple an forgiving. Load, point an pull the trigger. Its better if you practice an keep it clean like the auto but as long as you can aim an pull the trigger an the gun has not rusted solid then you are ok. Down side is the heavy double action trigger an only about 6 shots

I dont know ANYTHING about guns...
Buuut, if you need to shoot at someone and miss on the first couple shots...
I'd say you were crap out of luck in either situation....
Use the gun that you KNOW you can handle well and shoot best/accurate with...
Just sayin'... cause i have to stick my big nose in the conversation...
hide.gif

Last edited:
Never owned a 410 revolver an I wont complain about my .38 but I have shot a lot out of a single shot 410 pistol an I really like how it preforms. Now its sure not my 12 gauge an it wont reach like my .44 will but under 30 feet it is devastating for a hand gun. I have not found anything(legal) that competes.

By the way Rebel, the Public Defender also shoots .45 long Colts. Now that will reach!

By the way Rebel, the Public Defender also shoots .45 long Colts. Now that will reach!

Yep, .45 colts will reach. Here's a video of someone playing with different ammo in a Judge an when he gets to the colts he does some reaching.

Though I dont think I would use them. 000 buck seems pretty good to me. Besides I always carry multiple guns an my .38 reaches ok.

A lot of interesting responses, and I enjoyed reading them. Your problem was a one handed person that was weak as well.

IMPO the only viable choice would be a .38 special, 3-4 inch barrel, loaded with a light fast round like Winchester Silvertip 110gr. HP's. and practice A lot. I mean a 100 rounds a weekend for 6 weekends straight a lot.
I carry an old 44 mag loaded with extremely heavy HP's. It will take a mans shoulder off him "ONLY IF I HIT HIM". It does not matter the caliber or if its a semi-auto or not. If you cant hit them, your toast. If you can hit them, then 3-5 rounds center mass out of that .38 will stop them trust me.

I picked the combination I did for accuracy, weight of weapon (lack off), recoil (lack of), low cost of practice rounds, and ease of use.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom