Guns n Stuff

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MamacatPatch, Feb 4, 2011.

1. MamacatPatch

MamacatPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Hubby bought a good rifle because we've had coyotes circling our property now and again checking out our chickens, ducks, geese, etc. But the rifle, while very high quality, is heavy for me and hard to use. He's getting ready to go back to driving long haul again soon and I need a weapon that's lightweight, accurate and easy to use!

I know a weapon like I want would probably just make a coyote mad, but it might deter smaller varmints and pests like raccoon, opossum, etc. Or even a weapon that fires pellets or something that would really hurt and scare them but not wound them?

Everyone is fenced in and has sheds except the cats, but the predators seem to always find a way in somehow!!!

Any suggestions or advice?

Marci

2. Swampwood

Swampwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Krotz Springs, LA
    A 20 gauge single shot shotgun is my suggestion. Cheap, Easy to work, light and you can decide what ammo you want to put in it.. Slug/Buckshot(my fav)/birdshot/(can even make salt loads for pests you don't want to kill but don't want back;) )...you can have different ammo on buttstock sleeve.

Example A= http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214207592

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    .22 mag with scope will be easy to handle, shoot and drop a coyote at 100 yds. I just picked up a new Stevens 305 with a Tasco scope on it--the whole thing was around $300 including a box of shells and an extra magazine.

BTW, I could easily shoot this with one arm(not that I'd need to) so you shouldn't have much problem with it.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    You want something in either 223, 22-25 or a 220 swift. These guns will be just a little heavier than a 22, but will reach out and touch a coyote at 250 yards and take care of him. But first you have to hit him and that takes a LOT of practice.

5. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    a 20 gauge is a good idea. But You might want something a little more than a single shot. However that would be pretty easy to use. You would have to take into consideration the spray of the pellets, and make sure you didnt aim to close to your chickens/pets.

I definitely think you need something with a little more snort than just a 22.

a .22 magnum, .223, .204 or some sort of varmint rifle with a scope.All of these do not have alot of recoil, and would do the job. Bolt actions are extremely easy to use. You can also get something that does not have a wood stock. That is where alot of weight comes from.

6. Mgui35

Mgui35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2010
    Sulphur Louisiana
    If you want to reach out and drop the varmints, then I would definitely recommend the .223. My AR-15 weighs just 7 pounds and is accurate at a point target to 500 yards. There is no kick to speak of either. The only prohibitive factor is the cost which is around $1000. At close range, you should go with a shotgun. The shotgun is about the most versatile gun that you can use at close range.

7. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    Get yourself a what is called a 17 HMR. It is like a 22, but much more powerful and is the best all around farm gun IMO. You can shoot everything from Starlings to Predators. Get one with a plastic stock and it will be very light, small, and easy to handle and will get the job done on a coyote. The other major benefit is they are not nearly as loud as a centerfire rifle, such as a 22-250 or 223. It doesn't recoil at all either so it is very easy to shoot.

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Whatever you get, practice, practice, practice!

9. cptbahama

cptbahama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    I ditto the 20 gauge or .22 mag. Stay away from the centerfire cartridges. That's just way too much and I don't think you'll want to be taking shots out beyond 100 yards unless you really know what you're doing (which you may). I guarantee you the .22 mag has plenty power for coyote. Get hollow points. Hard to go wrong with the 20 gauge but has decidedly more recoil.
    I just bought my wife a 410 gauge single shot shotgun from a pawn shop for $70. She wanted a "chicken protection" gun! I was surprised because she's not into guns. The 410 can shoot slugs too. It has minimal recoil.
    <maybe I should clarify a slug is a single projectile shot out of a shotgun, rather than a shotshell full of an assortment of pellets.>

10. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    I am surprised nobody has suggested .22 long rifle. That's probably the most popular rifle caliber in the US. Ammo is cheap, used and new guns are abundant and inexpensive, it's accurate to 70 yards give or take a little, and will kill a coyote. No recoil to speak of.

The problem with higher-velocity, longer range cartridges like the .223, .22-250, etc., is that for many people, the gun is more accurate than they are. Unless we are shooting from a bench rest, most of us have a hard time hitting a coyote-sized target consistently beyond 100 yards. (I know, some of you are better shots than that, you don't have to post and take offense.)

A .22 LR will have a lot less recoil than a 20-gauge shotgun and will be lethal at longer ranges (shotgun only likely to be lethal on a coyote out to 30-40 yards, depending on load used).

Good luck.

GG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by