Guns n Stuff

Get a AR-15, Very light, Very acurate, Relatively inexpensive ammo, Plus very easy to operate. You can knock off coyotes at 200yrds all day from your porch.
Jack

My top picks.
1) Ruger 10/22....22lr lite reliable platform $
2) High powered Air Rifle $
3) 17 hmr......another lite rifle and it shoots like the 22 $$
4) 20 or 410 pump shotgun. (12 gauge would be too much boom) $$
5) 9mm carbine (Beretta CX4 Storm) still lite rifle, with minimal recoil, ammo not to expensive. Main cost is weapon $$$

As with any firearm, take a hunter safety course. Try to get out and shoot the model of gun you like. You might be surprised at what you may actually be comfortable with. I have a ruger PC 9, 9mm carbine nice rifle to shoot. Just a little heavy. I have a Bushmaster .223 and think that a .223 would be (pardon the pun) over kill. If you live in a semi rural area perhaps a high powered pellet rifle. Possibley a .22 air rifle. However I think with some range time under your belt, a 9mm carbine like the CX4 would be the trick. They are lite so most females would have an easier time holding and aiming one. Small in size so easy to stow or even carry on your person via sling while going about farm duties. Give www.budsgunshop.com a look and see what they have.

thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I'm in 100% agreement with this choice for those pests out to 100 yds. While I don't own one myself, (I prefer traps when possible), my brother does have one I have used and it is enough for those pests.

Forget using a pellet gun to scare them away, they'll be back under cover of darkness! Then what?

effen ya was wantin to ward off bears I'd say "even tho I only need a switch" say223 or 30-06 but a 22 is all you need for a coyote effen ya are good shot.

Quote:
.223 looks like a half scale version of a 30-06. You would only irritate a bear with a .223. But hey, Go to the CMP and get a M1 Garand. Then you would be 'loaded for bear'.
Jack

I use a 223 Winchester Model 70 Carbine. I bought it for my son to hunt with when he was 10 years old. He's grown now & I now use it exclusively to hunt deer, yotes, you name it. Its light has a short barrel & very accurate. Does not kick. This caliber will shoot further & be more accurate than a 22. Its a better all around gun in other words you can hunt alot of different wildlife your not limited on just shooting just yotes. You will need a good scope.

I'll jump on the .223 bandwagon and agree will all the reasons given. If you are shooting at 4 legged predators many will get away and die slow unless you are a very good shot and close with a .22. Even a predator deserves a clean quick kill.
smile.png

Steve

I second a .22 long rifle. I am not a large person - 5'2" and 110 when wet as DH says. My weapon of choice is a single shot, bolt action Winchester wood stock - it will fire shorts, longs and long rifle - which is what I use the long rifle, as they have a bit more punch than the shorts.

I recently dispatched two young mountain lions with my gun. Would have no problem taking a coyote and do not hesitate to take the gun with me when confronting strangers. (I live in the middle of no-where). This gun is good for birds, rodents and up.

Also costless to practice with
smile.png

Go to a rifle shop and hold the rifles - find one that fits your body and you feel comfortable with - one of the most important things when purchasing a fire arm I think (besides know how to use it).

Quote:

Love the AR platform. Shooting from a rest lessens the weight issue. A pair of shooting sticks makes it easier as well. If my 10 year old can handle my lightweight AR, just about anybody should be able to.
P1010309.jpg

Back
Top Bottom