Gurgling, coughing, crop full of fluid, not pooping, tail awry.

I'm not medically inclined but Eggcessive made a good point to look in the nests...years ago with our 4Hers' production young hens one of ours pushed out tissue into a floor nest (her cloaca) and no one noticed until couple days too late. Another pullet later got somewhat egg-bound which resolved, but had swelling and subsequent prolapse. We moved her in a darkened room with a buddy, treated her right away with human hemorrhoid ointment. We fitted her with a huge tight ball of roll cotton on her vent with what pressure we could using tape on her dry feathers around her body and changed it often more than directions on the tube. Her problems went away. We kept the ointment ready but she became a productive healthy hen. She of course had to poop a lot during that time but was able to put that out with the changings often, probably because of the swelling being helped with the shrinkage medicine. Your hen's greenish droppings may indicate an infection but there are many possibilities. The fact that you cannot reach in very far may indicate an obstruction or gas or else a twist or both the latter, but I am not sure chickens twist much, at least like horses can (fatal without operation). I hope you can find help soon, it sounds like she is on a mortal path.

Also note that these membranes just inside, cloaca and large intestine, have stretchy but fragile linings so try not to do too much exploring without proper lubrication and expert knowledge of the anatomy. A hen's cloaca is designed to deposit eggs into the nest without having the egg touch intestinal goo, so it actually naturally normally everts for that but then reverts. https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr...ive-system/prolapse-of-the-oviduct-in-poultry
An x-ray might show eggs piling up in there, right? at least the ones that already have shell deposited on them. Sounds like a trip to the vet or keep trying those meds. I imagine a veterinarian on BYC would have a mental complex with all of us trying to diagnose our feathered pets. Did you try the old-fashioned egg-bound remedies? I agree with Eggcessive on keeping up on fluids. Do you have any PoultryCell?

7 years is indeed old for a JG, but one year I had an 8yo Australorp lay a couple eggs. The daylight is increasing so not just my pullets but now my 2yos are putting eggs out.

Sorry about your hen. When some hens seem to have problems passing droppings, it can be from pressure on abdominal organs from tumor, infection, or salpingitis. Have you ever seen any lash egg material in any of the nests? MG, E.coli, and several other bacteria around a coop can be a cause of salpingitis. Is her crop emptying overnight? Slow and impacted crops can be common in hens with reproductive disorders. Usually they don’t eat well because they don’t feel well. It is up to you, but I wouldn’t tube feed a 7 year old hen with probable reproductive disorders. They can go a long time without eating, but she needs to drink fluids. You can refrigerate coconut oil and cut it into small pieces, and give 1 tsp daily if she is not passing droppings.

Hi Eggcessive and thank you! Yes, I’m assuming at this point given her age that it’s most likely a tumor or blockage deep within. She’s off food entirely. I gave her (since last writing) a very warm Epsom salt bath to try help relax things and perhaps get her to absorb some magnesium (for strength, to relax muscles). She drank a bit of the water when in there. I also tried to probe back there again. I do not feel anything. I gave a slight mineral oil enema again, just to see. There was again a bit of dark green droppings and yellowish white mostly liquid dropping right afterwards which are (in my 10 year experience with chickens) indicative of infection, (or possibly something to do with internal laying EYP?). I think the Tylan is what is keeping her steady, but of course no eating and drinking will take her down eventually.

I agree with you not to tube feed. I saw a case like this once before and tube fed and she died within the next hours and from the looks of it she had vomited and asphyxiatied. 😞So I noted to myself not to tube feed unless the crop is empty. No use putting a whole bunch more food just for it to sit there. I think this goes for this girl as well. She fights with me when I try and give her food by mouth (yogurt with the anti-fungal). Turns her head when I show her food like cooked corn kernel. I have seen her eat small amounts of regular feed.

About the fluids... I read online that any water from an enema that doesn’t come back out gets absorbed into the body. Can this be a safe way to get fluids into her? (Using just plain water, no soap or mineral oil). I’m not even sure that’s a good way of doing it.

By the way, I’ve seen no evidence of lash anywhere in the coop. The only issue this ol’ gal has ever had was that she had a pendulous crop a few years ago but it seemed to have cleared up or not gotten to be a constant problem.

I’ll try the coconut oil! Thank you for the tip!

7 years is indeed old for a JG, but one year I had an 8yo Australorp lay a couple eggs. The daylight is increasing so not just my pullets but now my 2yos are putting eggs out.

Yes.. since the warmer weather and increased sunlight I have been getting lots of eggs. It’s very possible for her to lay. I can’t say I’ve seen her in a nest box lately. She is actually closer to 8 years old. Always has been a very robust heathy bird.

Yeah, it does seem she’s on her end of life. I’m preparing but will keep medicating her for now.

I don’t recommend enemas since it could be possible to introduce bacteria up into the oviduct. I would either tube the fluids or not. Usually when one of mine gets this sick, I just make them comfortable or put them down.

Back
Top Bottom