Guys? Confusion? 🤔

I know people have said that Perkins don’t come in dom white but that roo looks like a paint, (heterozygous dom white) because there isn’t enough patches for a splash. However, if he was splash this would explain the blue offspring.

Ah, so then I'd suspect then that your rooster is not recessive white after all! So it's likely that this chick did come from the hen you had thought, but since one parent is recessive white and the other one isn't, the chick is not white.

I'm not sure if Splash can have so few marks without those marks being more dilute as well, I have limited experience there. I would expect more of a dull, almost grayish tone in the feathers for a Splash rather than a pure white color like him, so I don't think he's Splash, personally. I do see a tinge of yellow in his saddles and shoulder in the one close up picture, though, that makes me suspect he's just heterozygous dominant white (I/i+, heterozygous because of the black leaking through) with a hint of color leakage. How unusual for a Cochin! Do you know if the person you got him from is working with any other colors?

As for the hen, that is quite unusual as well. 🤔 Did she come from the same place as the rooster?
Perhaps the dominant white could be introduced if the breeder’s white strain was created by introducing white Brahma bantams or another white bantam rather than from existing white pekins.

Nope, total different people.
I've talked to the lady i got the roo from on where she got him, she said she hatched him back in February last year-
She never did tell me who exactly, but she did say most of her cochins she had now she had to drive 3 hours one way for- All I know
-
Also I really do think its the frizzle who might be hiding something now, another egg I swore was from her hatched out with blue just a few minutes ago- This one didn't have the black beak and appears to be more white, I do think this ones gotta be a blue. :confused:. The first mystery chick is in the background here.View attachment 3735653

Did you set any from the other hens? Have any of them hatched? If the rooster is heterozygous dominant white, then about half of the offspring from any of those hens (assuming they're all recessive white) should be colored. The exception perhaps being the hen with the gold wing feather, I'm not sure what to make of that. 🤔

I know people have said that Perkins don’t come in dom white but that roo looks like a paint, (heterozygous dom white) because there isn’t enough latched for a splash.
Perhaps the dominant white could be introduced if the breeder’s white strain was created by introducing white Brahma bantams or another white bantam rather than from existing white pekins.

I agree, hetero dominant white is what it looks like to me as well. It's odd for Cochins, but with outcrosses being done to introduce other genes and make different color patterns, not entirely surprising. I kind of wondered if it hadn't come from outcrossing to Golden Neck d'Uccles while trying to produce calico/mille fleur in Cochins, which would also account for white shanks popping up, but all we can really do is speculate at this point.

Did you set any from the other hens? Have any of them hatched? If the rooster is heterozygous dominant white, then about half of the offspring from any of those hens (assuming they're all recessive white) should be colored. The exception perhaps being the hen with the gold wing feather, I'm not sure what to make of that. 🤔

I agree, hetero dominant white is what it looks like to me as well. It's odd for Cochins, but with outcrosses being done to introduce other genes and make different color patterns, not entirely surprising. I kind of wondered if it hadn't come from outcrossing to Golden Neck d'Uccles while trying to produce calico/mille fleur in Cochins, which would also account for white shanks popping up, but all we can really do is speculate at this point.
So far the ones from the others hens are yellow babies-
I have two that look red but I did set a few from that one red cochin, those are probably hers.
1 I know is but I couldn't tell what the other one hatched out of.

So far the ones from the others hens are yellow babies-
I have two that look red but I did set a few from that one red cochin, those are probably hers.
1 I know is but I couldn't tell what the other one hatched out of.
The chick on the far right (corner) in both pictures is the one I know hatched out of my red girls egg.
The one in front of the ugly duckling chick is the one I wasn't sure about.
IMG_20240128_125635741.jpg
IMG_20240128_125636882.jpg

I'm also aware of the little stargazer, he just got some vitamins.
Also the chick fixing to photobomb the cochins in the bottom left corner isn't a cochin and didn't come from my birds.

I know people have said that Perkins don’t come in dom white but that roo looks like a paint, (heterozygous dom white) because there isn’t enough patches for a splash. However, if he was splash this would explain the blue offspring.
Are you saying that he isn't white at all?
I thought he was just white with some leakage-
Because of cochins being recessive white I don't even think Paint is a thing for cochins. At least not right now.
I also thought paint came is bigger patches, just not scattered everywhere like with splash.
You can barely tell he has that leakage as it hides under his white.
IMG_20240128_131920635.jpg
IMG_20240128_131805591_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240128_131628614.jpg
IMG_20240128_131524539.jpg

Last edited:
Are you saying that he isn't white at all?
I thought he was just white with some leakage-
Because of cochins being recessive white I don't even think Paint is a thing for cochins. At least not right now.
I also thought paint came is bigger patches, just not scattered everywhere like with splash.
You can barely tell he has that leakage as it hides under his white.
View attachment 3735751View attachment 3735754View attachment 3735756View attachment 3735757
I’m saying that he seems to be dominant white, but only half. If he was homozygous for any type of white there shouldn’t be any leakage, but he can’t be heterozygous rec white because then he wouldn’t be white.
349828D1-8763-4BE2-9639-326C11DC1DAA.jpeg

This is Spot, he is a cross between a white (dom white) leghorn and Silver Welsummer. He has the gold shoulder because he has got the autosomal red from the Wellie but not the dilution that makes it purer silver. He has a couple more spots than your boy (he is bigger though), but this is the sort of pattern I mean, just less extreme in yours.

If you wanted to test the genotype of your rooster you could hatch eggs from your reds bred to him, if some are white he is heterozygous dominant white, if all his homozygous dim white, and if non are he is recessive white.

I’m saying that he seems to be dominant white, but only half. If he was homozygous for any type of white there shouldn’t be any leakage, but he can’t be heterozygous rec white because then he wouldn’t be white.
View attachment 3735784
This is Spot, he is a cross between a white (dom white) leghorn and Silver Welsummer. He has the gold shoulder because he has got the autosomal red from the Wellie but not the dilution that makes it purer silver. He has a couple more spots than your boy (he is bigger though), but this is the sort of pattern I mean, just less extreme in yours.
What about what this person told me? Possible? 🤔
Screenshot_20240128-182714.png

Back
Top Bottom