Guys? Confusion? 🤔

Pics

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
Hatching from my white cochins for the first time-
They've started pipping-
The others so far have the pink/yellow beaks- I'm assuming they'll be white like their parents.
I did not expect anything other than white, but I've got a chick with a black beak...? - explain?
I did hear cochins are usually recessive, but i didn't think anything they might be hiding would show with white over white.
1706383487996420794428604415076.jpg

Hatching from my white cochins for the first time-
They've started pipping-
The others so far have the pink/yellow beaks- I'm assuming they'll be white like their parents.
I did not expect anything other than white, but I've got a chick with a black beak...? - explain?
I did hear cochins are usually recessive, but i didn't think anything they might be hiding would show with white over white.
View attachment 3735053
I think we should wait for the little guy to hatch before we decide what’s happened.

I know black cochins can have black beaks like the picture below. But ive never seen a white cochin with a black beak. It will be interesting to see if it stays that color after hatch.
Screenshot_20240127-150303_Google.jpg

Yes, I’m interested too. Has it hatched yet? 🤞
Unfortunately no- I keep checking though 😂
Little guy probably won't hatch until late tonight unless he decides to zip early.
He hasn't been pipped very long.
I believe his mama is my only white frizzle girl- The rest are smooth. The frizzle tends to lay a different egg shape than the others. Could be wrong though.
Here they are, roo is in the background on some.
cfa5b707-bd85-44ab-9d8c-93aea5c98a62photo.jpeg
2f620d65-bc60-4347-a57e-873e91bdc3e5photo.jpeg
e01e35d1-32ca-4ff4-9ad8-eb883ee6b5ffphoto.jpeg

Unfortunately no- I keep checking though 😂
Little guy probably won't hatch until late tonight unless he decides to zip early.
He hasn't been pipped very long.
I believe his mama is my only white frizzle girl- The rest are smooth. The frizzle tends to lay a different egg shape than the others. Could be wrong though.
Here they are, roo is in the background on some.
View attachment 3735145View attachment 3735146View attachment 3735147
Your cochins are adorable!
I have Ayam Cemani eggs hatching and they all waited till this morning to hatch after pipping yesterday. Overnight i was up 6 times to see if they hatched

In theory you could have a heterozygous dominant white bred to another heterozygous dominant white or a recessive white resulting in a black. If they are all related it’s more likely that they are all recessive white or dominant white, if they are not all related this is more likely.

Your cochins are adorable!
I have Ayam Cemani eggs hatching and they all waited till this morning to hatch after pipping yesterday. Overnight i was up 6 times to see if they hatched
Mine didn't start pipping until 4-5:00 this morning and that would've been day 22-
As of tonight the ones that pipped this morning still haven't hatched but are lively, so i suppose day 23 may show something. 😃.
Im used to my eggs starting to pip on day 19 and hatching by the night of day 20- so this is odd for me, despite day 21 being the norm for most chicken eggs.

Mine didn't start pipping until 4-5:00 this morning and that would've been day 22-
As of tonight the ones that pipped this morning still haven't hatched but are lively, so i suppose day 23 may show something. 😃.
Im used to my eggs starting to pip on day 19 and hatching by the night of day 20- so this is odd for me, despite day 21 being the norm for most chicken eggs.
Its day 21 for my eggs. I have 2 hatched one more pipped. And im hoping for one more, but two didnt develop past day 14.

Back
Top Bottom