Gypsies.... Okay so not an actual "breed"

ConchRepublic

Looking For My Marbles
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Dunnellon, Fl
Just wondering is any has/had Gypsy Chickens.

For those wondering, a "Gypsy Chicken" is a wild chicken from Key West, Fl. They are considered an invasive species in the Keys, yet are protected from harm by the local laws. They had some big arguments called "The Chicken Wars" down there where some people (mainly people moving down from up north) complain and try to get them removed, and the others (mainly locals) fight back saying they belong there because they ran wild for over 175 years and are now a symbol for Key West. The government and some rescues do adopt out the birds (the only real way to get them) to thin out the numbers with no real predators. Had a laugh when they had a rescue bring some near me a few years ago with a campaign called "Adopt a Cock".

From the photos I have seen they are a Game bird, very much like an Old English Game or American Game.
David

Quote:
lau.gif
That's just tooooo funny!! We have a game here that is essentially "Describe Your Dachshund" (since we breed Doxies), but all in Wiener-speak so it gets pretty funny, especially since we have brindle Doxies so some of our Hot Dogs have stripes. Then, I raised a group of broilers last year so the jokes just got even more funny-especially since our friend's teenage daughter pointed out to me all red-faced that I was raising both the Doxies & Roosters!!! Her Dad almost died and we all laughed till we couldn't breathe
wink.png

Quote:
Yep somewhat, they originated from Spanish gamefowl crossed with regular farm type chickens if remember correctly, Spanish games being why they're found in so many different coloration's.

-Daniel

Quote:
Yep somewhat, they originated from Spanish gamefowl crossed with regular farm type chickens if remember correctly, Spanish games being why they're found in so many different coloration's.

-Daniel

This is mostly true, though now they are pretty much just all mixes of everything. I've seen te originals which look like the gamebirds, but I've also seen ones that lok similar to Barred Rocks, Buff Orps, Arucanas, and some others. They even have the plumpness to 'em.

I was talking to people who used to run a store that had a rescue for them and they pointed me to a farm in Eustis, Fl and told me to try there. These are good birds, excellent breeders... though that is a bit of a bad thing with the wild population due to no real predators and under law as a protected species.

Well I found a rescue nearby that adopts them out and I'm going to pick some up on the 6th. They have a very beautiful selection of Roos, I plan on getting one that is largely gold in color and has a buttercup or rose looking comb. I've put the pic in my local swap page put I'll put them here for everyone else to see as well. (The roo that's soon to be mine is in 2 of the pictures as well)

so0krq.jpg

30i8jkw.jpg

2v82wc4.jpg

Wow- that one look like a stretched out speckled sussex! Very handsome boys. Guess you don't have to worry about frostbitten combs down there

LOL I love the Speckled Sussex! But he wants the Golden one, so hoping the Speckled goes to a good home
big_smile.png

No frostbitten combs here. I just worry about them being warm at night, but then again, I'm a girl
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom