Hügelkultur Raised Beds

If you want cheap and easy, take your 24 inch chicken wire and just fold it every 4 feet to go around the raised bed (4X4 bed), You could use zip ties to connect the ends. Than just put a stick in the soil, through the chicken wire, and done! I have a couple of those simple barriers and they have been in use for at least 5 years and still work great.

To keep out the birds and/or deer, just take some more of the 24 inch chicken wire and put it across the top of your wire. Again, cheap zip ties would serve well to hold it together. I have a couple of those "critter protective cages" and they work just fine.

If you want something with a little firmer structure, you could build a simple frame out of 2X2 lumber and attach your chicken wire to the wood frame.

Google picture of that concept, just cut to your dimensions...

View attachment 3750876

I have both 4X4 and 4X8 raise beds. I made all my critter protective cages 4X4 foot, and will just double it up for a larger 4X8 bed. They are easy to move and as long as you have beds that are 4X4 or some multiple of that, then you can just easily move the frame(s) to a different raised bed as needed.

⚠️ Way back in the day I used metal cage clips and/or wire from a spool to tie my chicken wire together. But honestly, lately I'm using zip ties for just about everything because they are cheap, easy to use, and easy to cut off if you want to use the wire in some other project. If you want the zip ties to last longer, make sure you buy zip ties that are UV rated for outside in the sun.
You've given me an idea...

⚠️ Don't use Privet for Hügelkultur Wood in a Raised Bed!

There are a few woods that you might never want to use as hügelkultur wood in a raised bed. The following video is going to talk about Privet, which I guess will grow back from a cut branch even if you bury it 5 feet deep. Depending on where you live, there may be other types of invasive/weed trees or plants that you don't want in your hügelkultur bed.

I have never had a problem with a tree growing from the logs I dump into my raised beds, but most of those logs might have been from my pile of cut logs drying out for years.

Here is the YouTube video discussing problems with Privet in a raised bed...

I had to look up Privet, but here is what it is...

1708316892225.png

Another tree you don't want to use anywhere near your gardens is the Black Walnut, which I am told is toxic to plants...

1708317097296.png

Another tree you don't want to use anywhere near your gardens is the Black Walnut, which I am told is toxic to plants...
Bane of my existence 😭
Roots, leaves or nuts toxic to certain plants. Ok with alliums and squash. Tomatoes and potatoes don't like them. Stew-pid squirrels climb the fence and bury nuts in the potato patch. Very poor yield if I miss them

Roots, leaves or nuts toxic to certain plants. Ok with alliums and squash. Tomatoes and potatoes don't like them. Stew-pid squirrels climb the fence and bury nuts in the potato patch. Very poor yield if I miss them
I knew about black walnut, but hadn't thought about the squirrels, of which I have plenty, burying the nuts in the garden. I have found a few nuts when they sprout, but I don't know if they were put there by the squirrels, or just fell in from the tree near the garden.

Hubby will NOT entertain the idea of cutting down the tree, unfortunately.

I knew about black walnut, but hadn't thought about the squirrels, of which I have plenty, burying the nuts in the garden. I have found a few nuts when they sprout, but I don't know if they were put there by the squirrels, or just fell in from the tree near the garden.

Hubby will NOT entertain the idea of cutting down the tree, unfortunately.
I have over 3 DZ mature trees. I thought I could sell the trees for lumber. But since they are in a yard they don't want them for fear of nails trashing the saw blaces.
One craft guy will take down, take the good wood and leave the crap for homeowner to deal with. For FREE. I was hoping to get rid of it all and get paid.
My cousin's husband is thinking about taking a dead one down for firewood.

⚠️ Don't use Privet for Hügelkultur Wood in a Raised Bed!

There are a few woods that you might never want to use as hügelkultur wood in a raised bed. The following video is going to talk about Privet, which I guess will grow back from a cut branch even if you bury it 5 feet deep. Depending on where you live, there may be other types of invasive/weed trees or plants that you don't want in your hügelkultur bed.

I have never had a problem with a tree growing from the logs I dump into my raised beds, but most of those logs might have been from my pile of cut logs drying out for years.

Here is the YouTube video discussing problems with Privet in a raised bed...

I had to look up Privet, but here is what it is...

View attachment 3751835

View attachment 3751836
Oh well.

I have no idea if any of the branches are privet. I didn't add sticks that weren't totally dead, and NO WISTERIA vines. Hate those as much as privet.

That's great. Hope to hear about what you are thinking. I find talking about my projects sometimes helps me to work out my thoughts and get them into action. I know I too get inspiration from others when I see their projects.
I sketched a picture. Will think about it and will let you know.

I have over 3 DZ mature trees. I thought I could sell the trees for lumber. But since they are in a yard they don't want them for fear of nails trashing the saw blaces.
One craft guy will take down, take the good wood and leave the crap for homeowner to deal with. For FREE. I was hoping to get rid of it all and get paid.
My cousin's husband is thinking about taking a dead one down for firewood.
Really? Nobody wants your timber? Wow. I would NOT give it away! That's ridiculous.

Walnut does make good firewood, but the wood is very "stringy," and hubby stopped trying to split it until we got a wood splitter.

Hubby will NOT entertain the idea of cutting down the [Black Walnut] tree, unfortunately.

:smack What!? Your husband has the freedom to disagree with you! I only wish... :lau

More seriously, I don't have any Black Walnut trees on my property, so it's never been an issue. Plus, I am the gardener in the family and not so much with Dear Wife. Well, I grow the food and she grows flowers. We do help out each other at times with garden work, but pretty much stay in our own lanes when it comes to the gardens.

I know the picture of the Black Walnut tree I posted sure looks nice. But if I had a garden that was negatively impacted by it, I think I would cut down the tree. But my priorities are on growing stuff to eat in my gardens, and I imagine other people might have different priorities.

:idunno Well, I talk tough but like I said, I don't even have any Black Walnut trees so it's not even an issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom