Had 4 chicks hatch on day 19, now day 21 w/ no more pips...

DFCottage

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
Montpelier, Virginia
Ok, so I had 4 chicks hatch on day 19 (it's my first hatch too.. Crazy!) there are now 5 chicks in there, 1 more trying to get out, and 8 that are no pips. I know the chicks can hang out in there for a while, but how long should I wait before calling the hatch and taking the fluffed chicks out? I obviously don't want to open the bator with the one still trying to get out.. But what would be my best course of action here? Tomorrow is day 22, I really don't want to leave the babies in there more than 3 days!

Hmmm I would risk it and get the fluffed babys out as quickly as possable. Dont even take the lid off, tilt it up enough to grab them and get them out safely. Dont' take my advise. Knowing me I would give you the adivise to kill your pips...
hmm.png
Could you slip two small dishes in? Like little tupper whare lids and then use a straw through the air vent to slip food in one dish and water in the other?

Wait until there's no zipping going on, then quickly grab the babies and get the bator closed again. I find that if there's zipping happening, they end up glued in the shell if I try to get the chicks.

How is your humidity? How long has the one chick been "trying to get out?" It may be stuck in the shell.

I would get those babies out today, so they can eat and drink.

Babies are out and are doing well. The one still in the shell shook have been out by now.. It's been fully zipped since this morning.. Humidity has been around 65 but I just got it up to 70.. Which I feel like is still within normal limits.. So hopefully this one will make it out.. Not sure about the others.. 1 small pip now but thats it.. hopefully they'll still try!!

Any suggestions about the stuck chick? With 65-70% humidity I thought that would be enough.. (hatching in a Brinsea Eco 20 btw)

Quote:
You can still have one get stuck. If the membrane is clear like rice paper, it's stuck.

Some people help, some don't. I'd help if it's fully zipped, but that's me. Get a warm washcloth an moisten the membrane, peel slowly and stop it you see blood.

Is the egg moving? Can you see inside the egg? Does it look "Shink Wraped"? I have helped shink wraped eggs before. If its not moving at all I would prolly check on it. But if you open the incubator it could make the other eggs do the same. Its really whatever you think will help it.

Its breathing, but not moving much at all. Humidity has been holding at 70%. It doesn't looked shrink wrapped, there is about 1/3 of the shell mostly removed from the rest of the shell, can just see a little bit of the chick. I do have a good feeling it is stuck in there.. But I don't know what a 5-8% jump (that i was just able to get) would do to help it.. I'd certainly hate to open it and then lose any potential chicks..but I'd hate to lose this one too!

I would say very quickly open the incubator and grab it. You can also put a wash cloth inside the incubator for more humidity. Like "happy chocks" said Peel slowly and stop if you see any blood.

i would help, but thats me. i would moisten the membrane, and also, like everyone else said...STOP if you see blood.

I've saved many lil chicks by helping.....even after most have hatched, and I'm about to call the hatch, I'll put the eggs one by one up to my ear...and sometimes you can hear tapping....they just can't get out. I've had so many survive and be wonderful chicks by helping. BUT...........that's just me! many would say do not help. it's a judgment call!

Back
Top Bottom