Had a good laugh at work today

Does anyone else see the need for a career change here?
idunno.gif

x2

I would suspect one's in the works already.

I can see both sides of the coin here. While I would hate to have something I am allergic added to my food, I always double check my food to ensure that my request was followed. At the same time, i am always as courteous to my server as I can be. I have, after all, seen the movie Waiting. "Don't [mess] with people who handle your food.
lau.gif

Guys, we don't actually make an effort to sabotage our customers food or "poison" anyone, though it's tempting sometimes. (See my post about the lady who turned a neck into a steak)
One of the salads we serve on the platter does contain a small amount of peppers and the staff didn't remove them. Neither did the customer, so it obviously wasn't an issue with her. and they were pretty obvious, she couldn't not see them.
We generally make an effort to ensure our customers receive excellent service and food, but unnecessary rudeness (which we did have after her stupid question about the chops) don't sit well with us and removes the desire to make an effort like painstakingly removing little bits of pepper from pre made salads. At least we don't spit in people's food like some chefs do! My brother had a problem once with a meal he ordered in a restaurant, they returned it to him with a big fat bug in it.
Restaurant work can be enormously rewarding and fun, but it can at times be very difficult too. I've seen waiters burst into tears after dealing with obnoxious customers. It happened at the restaurant I work for.

Guys, we don't actually make an effort to sabotage our customers food or "poison" anyone, though it's tempting sometimes. (See my post about the lady who turned a neck into a steak)
One of the salads we serve on the platter does contain a small amount of peppers and the staff didn't remove them. Neither did the customer, so it obviously wasn't an issue with her. and they were pretty obvious, she couldn't not see them.
We generally make an effort to ensure our customers receive excellent service and food, but unnecessary rudeness (which we did have after her stupid question about the chops) don't sit well with us and removes the desire to make an effort like painstakingly removing little bits of pepper from pre made salads. At least we don't spit in people's food like some chefs do! My brother had a problem once with a meal he ordered in a restaurant, they returned it to him with a big fat bug in it.
Restaurant work can be enormously rewarding and fun, but it can at times be very difficult too. I've seen waiters burst into tears after dealing with obnoxious customers. It happened at the restaurant I work for.

OK, I didn't realize she was a pita on top of the funny chops question...you had only said the staff sneaked peppers into her bean salad.
I think if you show empathy and politeness to your server, you just get better service!

It helps!
I enjoy the people we get through there most of the time, but occasionally we get tricky ones.
I want to put a list up sometimes telling the customers what not do do, like wait until they get the bill (for 22 people) before telling me they want to pay separately or forget what they ordered and argue with you when you bring the food. You'd be amazed how often that happens! Or ask you what happened to the fries they ordered when they actually didn't order any.
The list goes on.
Luckily most of our customers are lovely.

LOL!
I work in a nursing home.... same thing that some of the residents can be frustrating and demanding and the ones that are nice get the best service.
All served respectfully and appropriately....some just get the 'extra-mile service' when they extend the same toward the staff.
It helps!
I enjoy the people we get through there most of the time, but occasionally we get tricky ones.
I want to put a list up sometimes telling the customers what not do do, like wait until they get the bill (for 22 people) before telling me they want to pay separately or forget what they ordered and argue with you when you bring the food. You'd be amazed how often that happens! Or ask you what happened to the fries they ordered when they actually didn't order any.
The list goes on.
Luckily most of our customers are lovely.

Just for the record, chops come from the loin, not the rump. Got out my old cook book and checked.

Ugh, I hate working in certain jobs. Any job where a person can potentially feel entitlement seems to bring out the worst. That said, I feel the response about the chops versus ribs was not handled as well as it could have been. It's something I may have laughed at loudly with coworkers after the customers left, but the question would have been answered politely. I also would not have left in the red peppers in the salad. If a request is too unreasonable, then I would politely say so up front. Something like, "I'm sorry, but we can not substitute peas for fries", or "we only allow one alteration per dish", or what have you, is a perfectly acceptable answer. If you remain polite, even if assertive, their bad behavior is on them. If you engage, you are playing a part in it.

That said, nor do I agree with some that a worker must always be perfectly gracious, and that any demand is to be met with someone spit shining their shoes. What happens when someone pays to go to the zoo, and then proceeds to pester the animals? They paid money, so they should be allowed to do what they want, right? Well, a good zoo keeper will kick you out and you may very well not be refunded. Paying money does not mean you get to do what you want (okay...it does tend to mean just that in this society, but it shouldn't and needn't). I'm perfectly cool with workers standing up for their personal rights (ie. a man coming into the kitchen and yelling at me is definitely not acceptable behavior, and I would flat out tell him that, and have done so in the past), and I'll side with a worker maintaining proper boundaries over any establishment that tells them they can not do so.

As for sharing stories about dealing with the public, I love those! X) Worked security for *a company* that built multi-million dollar gated-community homes. The *home owners* thought we worked for them. No, I mean they really thought we worked for them. One of my favorite calls was probably a coworker who was told he needed to shovel a driveway and look after their kids while they ran to the store, and who was told the cops would be sent after him when he (politely) refused.
roll.png
Seemed like every other week 911 was being called to unclog toilets.

Quote:
I don't doubt that for a second. :/ It makes me incredibly glad when other customers stand up to people like that and tell said rude person to behave or leave. Probably seen it happen the most in Wal-mart check out lines when people just go off the deep end on a casheir.

Last edited:
Just for the record, chops come from the loin, not the rump. Got out my old cook book and checked.

Loin or rib chops are the only types of chops that I know about. Have butchered a deer or two plus domestic animals, and these are the only areas that provided chops.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Sumi, it's great to see you posting again! And I'm glad you haven't lost your sense of humor - there's a bunch of really great customer stories over at NotAlwaysRight.com that you'll love...

Though those people with the dog really take the cake. I wonder if a waitress could get away with SSS?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom