Had better success with dry incubation and dry hatch/lockdown

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
I’ve been using the dry incubation method since my second set in the fall of last year. By accident I fell into it when my still air incubator would not hold water. So I didn’t refill it and the chicks still hatched. Later I found I had left eggs in this incubator and they pipped without an increase in humidity. One had even zipped before I noticed it. The turner in the incubator was so slow that the chicks were able to get into position as well.

I wondered how these chicks could pip and zip when the humidity hadn’t been increased. But the chicks who I stuck into lockdown, with a 60-65% humidity, would die. Some would pip then die. Some would never pip. I was barely getting a 50% hatch rate.

Well then I read something on here about a dry hatch. About not adding water to the lockdown incubator. Everyone recommended against it but the thread starter did it anyway. And their chicks still hatched. The humidity of their air was higher. So I wondered if my air humidity was my issue.

These past two lockdowns I didn’t add water. The humidity sat around 45-50%. My hatch rates went from about 50 to 90%. I was amazed. This might not work for everyone, and isn’t recommended, but it worked for me. Every one of my chicks hatched out unassisted and are super healthy. Before I had to assist chicks if they pipped at all.

Just wanted to share my experience with dry hatching. I know this isn’t the recommended way to lockdown eggs but checking the air humidity is always a good idea.

I’ve been using the dry incubation method since my second set in the fall of last year. By accident I fell into it when my still air incubator would not hold water. So I didn’t refill it and the chicks still hatched. Later I found I had left eggs in this incubator and they pipped without an increase in humidity. One had even zipped before I noticed it. The turner in the incubator was so slow that the chicks were able to get into position as well.

I wondered how these chicks could pip and zip when the humidity hadn’t been increased. But the chicks who I stuck into lockdown, with a 60-65% humidity, would die. Some would pip then die. Some would never pip. I was barely getting a 50% hatch rate.

Well then I read something on here about a dry hatch. About not adding water to the lockdown incubator. Everyone recommended against it but the thread starter did it anyway. And their chicks still hatched. The humidity of their air was higher. So I wondered if my air humidity was my issue.

These past two lockdowns I didn’t add water. The humidity sat around 45-50%. My hatch rates went from about 50 to 90%. I was amazed. This might not work for everyone, and isn’t recommended, but it worked for me. Every one of my chicks hatched out unassisted and are super healthy. Before I had to assist chicks if they pipped at all.

Just wanted to share my experience with dry hatching. I know this isn’t the recommended way to lockdown eggs but checking the air humidity is always a good idea.
I incubate with humidity at 35% - 45% before lockdown, & increase to 55% - 65%.

I use the Wet Hatch method. Incubation was pretty wet, especially with they way your environmental humidity.

I believe the environmental humidity had something to do with your incubator. If your humidity was already abit dry, or moist it stabilized your incubator humidity.

I use my environmental humidity for judging the amount of water to add to the incubator. I keep a separate hygrometer/Thermometer out in the room to monitor the humidity, & temperature outside the incubator.

Back
Top Bottom