Had my first set of eggs hatch today! Now what? :)

LouNeo

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2016
Wilmington NC
I had bought a couple hens a month ago, they had been used for breeding / in with a rooster of their breed. 1 Blue Cochin and 1 Silver laced black cochin so I decided to collect eggs for a couple weeks and see if they would hatch. heard some squeaks this morning coming from that end of the kitchen. Looks like 2 are fully out of their shell and 1 is still stuck half in the shell. Do I help the one that is stuck or just let nature take it course? There may be 1 or 2 more than could hatch in the next day or so, the rest may not have been fertile in the first place as I was guessing at which eggs were which in the coop.

So next steps with the hatched ones? I heard I can leave them in the incubator for a day and then I guess put them in a separate container with a heat lamp and run the process I did with the other chicks I had bought? My concern now is really for the little one that hasnt gotten out yet. Its chirping, its moving, its just stuck.

Anything else I should do to try and ensure survival? Incubator is at 100 degrees and 51% humidity right now. AC was out all weekend so I had turned the bator down to compensate for ambient. AC was just fixed 2 hours ago so I just turned the bator back up to compensate for the 20 degree ambient temp different lol house was 95 degrees all weekend days!

Thanks all, heres a pic of the wee ones.

Hello! Looks like you have your self some chicks. Congrats :), Anyway you are right about leaving them in the incubator for a day. Also about putting them in a box with a heat lamp for a week or so or when you think they look ready. The little chick though, when i hatched some silkie chicks we got 4 out of 7 eggs hatched we put one under our broody silkie wich hatched first then our little chicks in the incubator hatched. 2 of them came out fine and then we left them in the incubator but one was stuck for more them a day i used a few tools to get her out. she lived for a couple weeks with the rest of the chicks with their new silkie mom but the one i saved always was weird. she would walk backwards when she was in our hands so finely after she was suffering and not eating or drinking we killed her a quick painless death. So i would advise not helping her, if she dies she is ment to die. good luck have fun with the chicks.

- Hallo

Thank you for the reply. I understand that we will let nature take its course. Ive already let the 10 year old know how nature works and that she needs to be prepared if we lose 1 or 2 that its meant to be. So far they all seem to be acting similarly for the most part. 2 are definitely slightly more responsive but they are wandering around like little narcoleptics at this moment. Im going to let them rest up and then move them out tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom