Had To Discard All But One Polish Egg

Quote:
My polish are not any harder to hatch than anything else. However, these eggs come from my own back yard and they are not shipped. I don't know if polish eggs ship well or not. I was fortunate my find my flock already grown and about to lay. This will be their first full season of laying (as soon as they start back up). I did hatch a few of my eggs last year to check the roo's fertility and he performed perfectly. I have another polish egg in my bator now for the same reason. When I candled it, the egg had veins so I'm happy.

Last edited:
If most of them started then quit, then it is not a fertility issue. It could have something to do with the seller's flock, it could have something to do with the shipping, or it could have something to do with your incubation. Definitely talk to the seller, but there are a lot of things that are not in their control. Don't be accusatory but tell them what happened and see if they have any suggestions. Your sound like your attitude will be pretty good, but if the seller's eggs are not hatching, they need to know.

I'll give you a couple of links to troubleshooting incubation. Maybe you can see something in here that is causing the problem. It is not unusual to get pretty poor hatch rates with shipped eggs, but yours should not be that bad.

You don't mention if you normally have good luck with other eggs and it is only these shipped eggs that are causing the problem. If appropriate, you might try hatching local not-shipped eggs to see how your incubator does.

Mississippi State Incubation Troubleshooting
http://www.poultry.msstate.edu/extension/pdf/troubleshooting_incubation.pdf

Florida Incubation Troubleshooting
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

Good luck!

Yeah, thats why I don't like to complain because I know there are so many variables to shipped eggs. Yes, my hatch rate is fine with other eggs. Its still low this time of year of course, but not that low. Like I said, I know some DID start, but the rest didn't even look fertile, so the roo might have been "on vacation".
smile.png
Thanks everybody for all the nformation and websites to check out.
smile.png
I really appreciate it. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

Back
Top Bottom