Had to rehome chickens due to HOA change

I feel for you. IMHO you should have been grandfathered in when the rules were "updated". When we were looking for a house we went with a township that has NO zoning. Yes, it's a gamble but everyone minds their own business.
When we move, we will be looking for an area with no HOA at all. It is incredibly hard to find areas with no zoning at all here, and even rural areas are subdivided.

Sounds like its time to move. Personally, as a parting gift, Id dump manure all over tge presidents lawn. :duc
We won’t do it, but the thought crossed our mind to “dispose” of a bunch of the poison ivy that we have growing around our property onto the flower garden by their mailbox. Lol. Or throw a bunch of dandelion seeds into their nicely manicured half acre front yard.

Yup. This neighborhood is becoming a “rich” neighborhood apparently. My neighbor who had chickens is also looking to move. She said that when they moved here 20 years ago it was mostly working class people who actually used their 4-5 acre plots. There has been a lot of turnover since then and lots of wealthy people who bought double lots and then don’t use the land. New owners have changed the HOA bylaws over the years. When we bought a few years ago we had no idea of the snobbery in the neighborhood. I mean, seriously, if you have 15 acres and don’t plan on using your land, why impose that same rule on others? My neighbor said the only rule used to be that outbuildings had to be the same color as the original house and you had to keep your front yard neat looking.
We have to get out...at the last annual meeting the president was talking about requiring everyone to have flower gardens in the front yard and the same expensive mailboxes, along with a lot of other nonsense like requiring a certain number of flowering trees in the front yard for aesthetic purposes. No kids toys allowed to be left outside. So we get fined if our kids leave their bicycle on the front porch. We may have to get rid of our basketball goal as well if these pass.
With the no chicken rule, she also made a few other ridiculous rules. One rule is that you can only have one animal for every 2 acres. Dogs and cats don’t count as long as they are indoor or have wireless fences. No above ground fences are allowed anymore. Your house must have shrubbery hiding the air conditioning unit and any part of the foundation that is concrete.
We want no part of that. Land is meant to be used, not hoarded for the purpose of increasing property value. Sorry, rant over.
What the heck!! You would think someone with some acres would not be so ... Oh I don't know.. Snobbory What does the acreage look like now? just grown up wast land.. The government gets people to buy a little more land just to sit on it and pay taxes.!! It Raises the property value to have land and do nothing with it. Ridiculous! I would never fallow these laws I can't see people being that annoyed looking at an an air conditioner. If you are this picky and can't stand your neighbors this badly then plant some dang privacy trees. People!! The world has changed so much. Our place use to be all farm land but the farmer died no one wanted to farm so it went to the government! They put the parcel lines right though the field. In 8 to 14 acre parcels . What is a guy supposed to do with 8acres of field . It's not enough to invest in farming so They just let it grow up and trees fall on the land and brush grows up. Looks like a mess now with just a little ring mowed around the new houses Ugh! The problem with farm land is that it's not usable in smaller increments. Every year im watching more farmers die and land goes away. If enough acres go to housing I hope people don't vote for an AOH President to come in and start making laws in my area.! I own 24 of the 60 acres that was parceled off I bought extra As well but I use the land... I farm it and keep it clear . You don't make a lot . But it's fun work and some of the acres is used for homesteading. it annoys me sometimes when I can't just take The tractor over The whole field but I don't own it. The rest of the 60 acres ether has homes on it or is just sitting there doing nothing but growing up with brush! . I would like to buy more to prevent it From going to housing...
Screenshot_2019-12-05-22-14-34_kindlephoto-181524250.png
farmer use to own inside the white line. I feel bad for what you are going through I hope something improves...:hugs

Yup. This neighborhood is becoming a “rich” neighborhood apparently. My neighbor who had chickens is also looking to move. She said that when they moved here 20 years ago it was mostly working class people who actually used their 4-5 acre plots. There has been a lot of turnover since then and lots of wealthy people who bought double lots and then don’t use the land. New owners have changed the HOA bylaws over the years. When we bought a few years ago we had no idea of the snobbery in the neighborhood. I mean, seriously, if you have 15 acres and don’t plan on using your land, why impose that same rule on others? My neighbor said the only rule used to be that outbuildings had to be the same color as the original house and you had to keep your front yard neat looking.
We have to get out...at the last annual meeting the president was talking about requiring everyone to have flower gardens in the front yard and the same expensive mailboxes, along with a lot of other nonsense like requiring a certain number of flowering trees in the front yard for aesthetic purposes. No kids toys allowed to be left outside. So we get fined if our kids leave their bicycle on the front porch. We may have to get rid of our basketball goal as well if these pass.
With the no chicken rule, she also made a few other ridiculous rules. One rule is that you can only have one animal for every 2 acres. Dogs and cats don’t count as long as they are indoor or have wireless fences. No above ground fences are allowed anymore. Your house must have shrubbery hiding the air conditioning unit and any part of the foundation that is concrete.
We want no part of that. Land is meant to be used, not hoarded for the purpose of increasing property value. Sorry, rant over.
I'm so sorry that happened! That's terrible. But it sounds like you'll be better off in a more "country" area. What state are you in?

That's a good example of why HOA's are not good ...

Even if you agree to all of the "rules" when you buy ... all it takes is a few meetings, and ... everything can change!

I'm in the process of buying another home in the country, no way will I buy in a HOA! I'm not going to allow a undetermined ever changing population of "neighbors" legally force me to do, or not do on my land, that not only they don't pay for, but they expect me to pay dues!

Maybe the "good news" for the OP is the "rich" are creeping in, and the prices are rising in the desired neighborhood, so you can afford to move sooner! :) List it for sale HIGH, you can always drop the price, or take it off the market for awhile, see what this spring brings!

Sorry to hear that!!

Usually you hear of HOAs in smaller lot communities. It’s interesting that the HOA was formed 2-3 decades ago for such large lots! I wonder what perceived purpose the HOA served at that time.

I’m glad the chickens went to a good home. I think there is some grounds to possibly take legal action (knowing nothing about your actual document) only from the grandfathered perspective and no voting perspective. But, honestly you’ll be better off saving your money to put towards a different home, as you clearly don’t want to continue to live under the thumb of this HOA and certain individuals. It’s a live and learn situation, but it still sucks.

I remember the back story, wow I am so sorry it came to this. Glad to hear you found a good home for them, but I know that it really doesn't ease the pain of losing them or the anger at the HOA. I sure hope you can find your new happy place soon.

Back
Top Bottom