Dec 21, 2018
Eastern Oregon
No, I'm not new to having chickens.

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's was when my mum bought my first two chicks. One was a tiny Bantam (I still don't know his breed.) and the other was a White Leghorn hen, but she passed soon after her two months from a genetic disorder. It was because of that generic disorder that my new addition was another Bantam. He too, was the same breed as my first rooster.

They were not barnyard animals, but rather beloved pets.

Needing hens, we ending up adding three of the same breed. They were a type of Cochin. Bared, with black and gold stripes. They took a few weeks to become tame, but they became quite sweet.

One of my hens desperately wanted to start a nest, but even though she became broody she never managed to hatch any chicks. Being in 4-H, my leader's friend offered to hatch out a dozen eggs. Nine hatched around Mother's Day and we kept them in my parents room.

One hen was a Blue Cochin, two hens and a rooster ended up being Golden Cochins. The rest, I no longer remember because it was so long ago, but I think they took after my trio of hens.

Later I grew out of 4-H and have my flock to another young girl that was starting out. She loved how tame my Bantams were and increased the flock three different times before losing my original five to old age. The nine original chicks were later rehomed with their offspring to yet another 4-H kid.

To this day I still hear about my great-great-great grand-chickens, but I no longer have the space to keep my own chickens, because I currently live in an apartment. It is in a country town, but they limit my pets to no more than three house cats, and a very small dog.

What I miss most about having chickens is seeing the brand new baby Bantam chicks. They are so cute! Gathering eggs is also one of the most exciting aspects of raising backyard chickens.

But I must say my most favorite aspects must be letting the chickens all out in the yard with a hastily built out of plastic chairs and chicken wire. They are so much fun to watch.

Farming on a small scale in containers and raised beds are going to be my other hobbies. At the moment I'm purchasing books on the subject and researching through books about raising miniature farm animals.

Currently I live alone, unmarried and do not date.

If any of this sounds familiar, I joined before but somehow my email disappeared from the database and I had to rejoin. Originally, I discovered this website via a Google search for chickens.

--- Drea

Hi and welcome back to BYC. I understand the displeasure in not keeping chickens as i am moving next week to an apartment and my flock will no longer exist as of tomorrow :(

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome Back!!!!

christmas chicks.png

No, I'm not new to having chickens.

Back in the late 1980's and early 1990's was when my mum bought my first two chicks. One was a tiny Bantam (I still don't know his breed.) and the other was a White Leghorn hen, but she passed soon after her two months from a genetic disorder. It was because of that generic disorder that my new addition was another Bantam. He too, was the same breed as my first rooster.

They were not barnyard animals, but rather beloved pets.

Needing hens, we ending up adding three of the same breed. They were a type of Cochin. Bared, with black and gold stripes. They took a few weeks to become tame, but they became quite sweet.

One of my hens desperately wanted to start a nest, but even though she became broody she never managed to hatch any chicks. Being in 4-H, my leader's friend offered to hatch out a dozen eggs. Nine hatched around Mother's Day and we kept them in my parents room.

One hen was a Blue Cochin, two hens and a rooster ended up being Golden Cochins. The rest, I no longer remember because it was so long ago, but I think they took after my trio of hens.

Later I grew out of 4-H and have my flock to another young girl that was starting out. She loved how tame my Bantams were and increased the flock three different times before losing my original five to old age. The nine original chicks were later rehomed with their offspring to yet another 4-H kid.

To this day I still hear about my great-great-great grand-chickens, but I no longer have the space to keep my own chickens, because I currently live in an apartment. It is in a country town, but they limit my pets to no more than three house cats, and a very small dog.

What I miss most about having chickens is seeing the brand new baby Bantam chicks. They are so cute! Gathering eggs is also one of the most exciting aspects of raising backyard chickens.

But I must say my most favorite aspects must be letting the chickens all out in the yard with a hastily built out of plastic chairs and chicken wire. They are so much fun to watch.

Farming on a small scale in containers and raised beds are going to be my other hobbies. At the moment I'm purchasing books on the subject and researching through books about raising miniature farm animals.

Currently I live alone, unmarried and do not date.

If any of this sounds familiar, I joined before but somehow my email disappeared from the database and I had to rejoin. Originally, I discovered this website via a Google search for chickens.

--- Drea
awesopme.jpg

Welcome back.gif

Welcome to Backyard Chickens Drea! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Maybe someday you can bring chickens back into your life. Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Back
Top Bottom