Had to separate the babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KDbeads, Nov 29, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    After 2 days of non-stop roughhousing we decided to separate our hatch into 2 groups. The silkies, the BSL female and the RIR that has feet issues are in one brooder and the rest have been put in with my 3 week old ee/silkie mix (he's terrified of them).
    It was just getting to the point where 2 of the silkies were getting trampled and run off the food before they could get more than a peck in. The poor RIR had her booties pecked off more than once and the BSL is about as small as the larger silkie so she was getting railroaded as well. The ones I took out have thoroughly declared the new brooder theirs and are running around like little tanks. The silkies/RIR/BSL are still hiding under the teddy bear I left in their brooder [​IMG] Hopefully they'll come around soon.

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

good luck.

I had to seperate mine due to age issues last spring. I was sold some that were 2 weeks older than the others, and the bigger ones picked on the younger ones.

when they were about 8 weeks old they all went outside to a larger Brooder with more feed dishes, so that was no longer an issue.

they are now one happy flock.

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    So far so good, the ones out in the garage have settled in and the 3 week old with them has decided to tolerate them for the moment. The silkie/RIR/BSL group inside is soooo quiet, I almost don't know I have chicks in the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by