Had to shoot a dog - WARNING, GRAPHIC CONTENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is Legally Named a "DePredation" Shoot for a reason. Only failure here was that You were off the Mark. Should have killed it. Were You using a Semi-Automatic? That is what is best for Defending the Flock. Get in some Target Practice. Then, as Noted above, next time - SSS (Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-Up)!

Your Brother will, or will not, get over His Failure as a DogFather. It is HIS Problem. Spend No More Mental Energy Worrying about "Water Under The Bridge" - Live Well.

dealing with family is hard.you did all you could do.your brother should have penned his dog after the first time.i would have done the same thing.

I would have shot the dog,but never admitted to it.Afterall anyone could shoot a roaming dog.It is unlikely that bro will forgive you. As for the vandal kid I would file charges. I would not let it slide for family or friends.If my OWN child vandalized my home I would file charges.

Quote:

What's is more important to you? Your relationship with your Brother or your chickens?

On another note, I put a battery operated fence zapper around my coop and run with some thin aluminum wire. The zapper runs on 2 D batteries. Took about an hour to set it up. cost about $20. Dogs got zapped a few times, then learned total respect and won't go near anymore. Pretty easy solution, comparatively.

Not sure if you are completely in the legal right right all the way around but that doesn't seem to be part of the issue. Obviously your brother was in the wrong for letting the dog run free and destroy your property and eat your chickens. Hard to say this, but you need to meet his attitude level with your own. Not the AGGRESSION level but the IN THE RIGHT level.

What would happen if you acted like nothing out of the ordinary happened? People use that attitude all the time to their advantage.

Don't apologize for something that you feel you did in the best of intentions! We can control what we do but we cannot control how others react to it.
Full stop. The most that you can do is act out of the goodness of your own heart and do what you feel is right. Then you let others take what you did how they take it.

All I can say is that if keeping a "good" relationship with family requires me to allow their dog to slaughter my chickens, then I'll forgo the family and keep the chickens.

Seems obvious that the OP's brother doesn't care about a good relationship, plainly choosing the dog over his brother and his brother's enjoyment of his property and his flock. A relationship, by definition, is not one-sided.

Last edited:
It seems the OP's brother has no respect for him, allowing his dog to kill his brothers animals..... even after multi warnings about what the dog was doing. You had every right to shoot the dog, sad for the dog that it had a blockhead owner..... but it was destroying your stuff. Maybe now that HE is out some money he will think twice about where the dog is and what it does. If your family can't understand why you did what you did, and why you should be upset about the dog killing your animals and messing up your yard..... then shame on them. If you had just kept dealing with it.... Your resentment would keep building towards him too. Brother needs to be a man and take responsibility for his part in the matter.
Electric fence makes great neighbors ( the bull stopping kind)
wink.png
Sorry about your situation... family can be complicated... Hope Bro grows some and gets over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom