Had to shoot a dog - WARNING, GRAPHIC CONTENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The general consensus is your brother did wrong... And that is correct. The undertone is that the dog was also wrong.

The dog did what it did because it was ALLOWED to do so. Improper supervision and a poorly constructed coop allowed this dog to do what dogs will do naturally if given the chance. You were both at fault. The dog was not, considering she was untrained and unsupervised and given access to a structure that was not sound enough to keep her out. And it's not as if this was the first time it happened, either.

You punished your brother by punishing the dog who is unable to control the variables that ALLOWED HER to kill your chickens. And frankly if your brother cares so little about the dog as to allow her to roam free in a residential area, the only consequence he cared about was probably the cost of taking the dog to the vet. For certain if the dog is allowed to roam again once she heals, what you did won't keep her from your yard or your chickens. She doesn't know what she did was wrong and doesn't have the intelligence to know WHY she was shot. She won't realize that maybe the next time she goes to visit the treat factory next door she might not come away alive. You didn't teach her anything or construct a way to keep this from happening in the future.

If you ask me, the wrong party here was shot. I can't imagine ever doing something like that, and I HAVE been in that situation before. It's ridiculous to me to think this is what you would even consider doing.

I'm sorry your chickens died, and I'm sorry your brother's dog was shot. I feel no sympathy for your brother, you, or your guilty conscience, though. There were alternatives to shooting the dog. Unless you carry around a loaded .22, you had time to consider those alternatives. You knew what the dog was capable of and the fact that she wouldn't be contained, yet your coop was obviously not well built enough to keep her out nor did you take any other measures to insure she wouldn't be able to get to your chickens (such as a fence, electric wiring, etc). Your brother knew what his dog was doing and allowed her the chance to roam and the chance to do it again. Irresponsible and reprehensible.

But what it all boils down to is this: build a sturdy coop, or don't bother keeping chickens in the first place. If she can get into it, so can a number of other predators. Be responsible for your chickens' lives; don't ever expect someone else to be. This doesn't mean you get to shoot dogs whose presence and reputation you were fully aware of but didn't take the proper or enough steps to keep away from your chickens.

I deleted my own post because SunnyCait said it much more eloquently. I agree entirely with his/her post.

What a mess. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

We all are chicken fans or we wouldn't be on this site - so we must admit that we are all a bit biased. I think that the other brother is mostly at fault as many post have already pointed out. I too would use deadly force to protect my livestock from a predator, especially after I had warned the owner. There are leash laws.

However, I don't think your bother is going to be viewed as entirely at fault. As I see it, there is plenty of blame to spread around between you both.

You did willingly chose to live in an HOA. Even in Texas HOAs have often very strict rules, fees, etc. etc etc Your brother had a reasonable expectation to live in a neighborhood completely free from chickens and therefor free of all chicken related problems.

Everyone now knows you have chickens. I suspect that after this drama, your HOA is not going to side with you and allow you to keep chickens. They may think "if you didn't have chickens, which was against the regs, there wouldn't have been a problem". I'm not saying I agree with this line of thought - I'm just saying that I think it is likely and it the path of least resistance for them. This is even more likely if your brother complains to the HOA.

Also keep in mind that most people rank or value animals by how closely related they are to us humans. Dogs and other mammals generally get much more sympathy then poultry - at least at non-poultry related sites. Pet animals like the family dog also rank higher than food animals. I'm not saying that this is "right" or even "legal", I'm just saying that this is how the world often is.

I'm OK with people breaking "silly" laws - I do it sometimes too to my Lawful good wire's irritation - as long as they are willing to "man-up" and eat the full costs of their choices. This one unfortunately cost you a lot and I'm sorry for that. Some have suggested capitulating; I don't think that will help even if you did. This cat is out of the bag. Time and distance will help but that is about it. You are between a rock and a hard place with this one.

It is kind of drastic, but If you can, moving somewhere w/o a HOA so you can do what you want with your land, have some distance from your brother, and put this behind you.

James

PS Take a look at this, especially the comments: http://www.wktv.com/news/local/Man-...or-allegedly-letting-bull-roam-150080815.html There are a number of people that are going to say that shooting a pet mammal, for any reason other than directly protecting human life, is wrong and is animal cruelty. I don't agree with this line of thought but it is out there. They guy above actually got charged - again, I'm not saying I agree with this, just that it happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom