Had to take my hen to the vet today, still don't know what's wrong with her.

Well, the vet called me and I asked her about de-worming my hens.
This is what she told me:
She does not routinely recommend de-worming because of where we live.
She does not worm her hens.
She also wants to keep the 'sick' hen where it is warm for another few days or so.
Not a problem, I like having her inside.

Oh the debate of deworming!

I went to pick up lay mash and talked with my feed supplier.
He recommended worming the hens with Tramasol, being that the whole flock of 4 are a bit thin.
So I went to the local vet supply store and got some Tramasol.
Now I want opinions on this before I dose the hens.
I'm off to the internet to get information on this stuff.
Also got some electrolytes to add to their water.

Keeping your hen warm is very important, IMHO.

About the worming... I'm on this stupid iPad right now, so I'll look up some stuff when I can get back on the real computer, lol.

I have never heard of Tramasol and came up with nothing when I Googled it so can't help you there. I'll look some more and see if I can turn up anything.

I'm a little surprised a vet would state that deworming is not necessary. I say a little because I've certainly had my share of what I consider poor advice from vets. Poultry is just not something most vets, even some avain vets, are very experienced in. Chickens are on the ground, they are going to get worms, it's not a matter of if but when. I do not know of any place in the lower 48 that does not have worms of some kind. I am lucky to have a very good avian vet and he absolutely recommends flocks be on a regular deworming program.

I keep it simple. I deworm twice a year with either Valbazen or 10% liquid Safeguard goat dewormer.

I have never heard of Tramasol and came up with nothing when I Googled it so can't help you there. I'll look some more and see if I can turn up anything.
Levamisole hydrochloride, brand name Prohibit, soluble drench powder anthelmentic. A couple of people have recommended this in their water a couple times a year.

I'm a little surprised a vet would state that deworming is not necessary. I say a little because I've certainly had my share of what I consider poor advice from vets. Me, too. Poultry is just not something most vets, even some avain vets, are very experienced in. Chickens are on the ground, they are going to get worms, it's not a matter of if but when. I do not know of any place in the lower 48 that does not have worms of some kind. I am lucky to have a very good avian vet and he absolutely recommends flocks be on a regular deworming program.
I was surprised, too, when she said she didn't worm her chickens. They eat bugs and all kinds of stuff off the ground, seems logical they would get parasites, likely from the bugs they eat from the ground.

I keep it simple. I deworm twice a year with either Valbazen or 10% liquid Safeguard goat dewormer. I didn't see Valbazen at the vet supply, but I wasn't looking. They had Wazine. I didn't want to go with that. How long do you have to avoid their eggs with Safeguard? And what dosage do you give your hens?

Stop feeding your birds fruits/vegetables, Cheerios, spinach, creamed corn, oatmeal and whatever human foods you are feeding them. No wonder why the Ameraucana has diarrhea and losing weight. I'm surprised the others arnt doing the same.
I have to respectfully DISAGREE with you dawg53. There is nothing wrong with giving your chickens a variety of vegetables such as spinach or corn and other foods such as yogurt or oatmeal. YES they do naturally forge and find what they need to eat to maintain but a lot of times are lacking proper nutrition. For example, scrambling eggs and feeding FULLY cooked eggs TO THE CHICKENS is a great way to up their protein levels.

There are many foods that should NOT be given to chickens, but there are many foods that are also GREAT for them! This chicken "treat chart" is a great reference point. Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't eat it... DONT FEED IT TO YOUR CHICKENS! You really are what you eat, and moldy food with cause chickens just like humans, to get sick.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

I hope your baby is feeling better! Re-evaluate her and check for Marek's disease.... Your hen sounds like my hen that has Mareks....She is now permanently separated from my flock but lives a healthy normal (and rather pampered) single life. I'm also guilty of spending $100+ on my originally $15 hen. For the love of the animals. GOOD LUCK!

Back
Top Bottom