Half"baked" chick at 25 days....

Mom24

Hatching
Jun 14, 2017
I'm new here but have lurked for a long time. My most recent hatch was a decent(ish) one. Out of 21 eggs 18 successfully hatched. (marans roo and barred rock hens). Day 21 was Saturday. I took the 3 that never hatched and cracked them open just now. 2 were fully formed chicks that just never hatched. The 3rd was a live chick that looked like it was at about 15 days. How does that even happen?? I feel horrible

I was happy with the hatch rate. Of course most are roosters . When I incubate the barred rock hens eggs they always hatch. Forget it with my red hens. The chicks incubate beautifully but NEVER hatch.

It was still alive?? Wow!! There were in an incubator and no way it was added later than the rest? Sounds like it would have to be a cool spot, or maybe a very old egg? I think older eggs tend to take longer to develop. But a week slow sounds a bit excessive.

I was happy with the hatch rate. Of course most are roosters . When I incubate the barred rock hens eggs they always hatch. Forget it with my red hens. The chicks incubate beautifully but NEVER hatch.

Dark shells? What humidity are you running? Dark shells do better with low low low humidity.

Dark shells? What humidity are you running? Dark shells do better with low low low humidity.
Yeah they're darkish brown eggs. I never knew that!! Humidity was around 50-60%. Ill just have to do a separate batch. What should the humidity be at?

It was still alive?? Wow!! There were in an incubator and no way it was added later than the rest? Sounds like it would have to be a cool spot, or maybe a very old egg? I think older eggs tend to take longer to develop. But a week slow sounds a bit excessive.
Yeah it was kicking and gasping. I felt soooo bad! They were all placed in the incubator at the same time. I've never had that happen before.

Yeah they're darkish brown eggs. I never knew that!! Humidity was around 50-60%. Ill just have to do a separate batch. What should the humidity be at?

50-60% is "usually" way too high for most folks around here. How humid is it where you live? Local conditions make a big difference. If you live somewhere arid and dry, you can run a little higher, but if you live somewhere humid (like me), I run with absolutely no water in my incubator until day 18, and it still holds 30-35%. My goal is 33% or less.

Candle every so often and watch air cells. I would bet your air cells stayed too small, the chicks get too big and then can't make their way out. Not enough room in the egg. Or, they drown from excess moisture still inside the membrane. And if they internally pip, the small air cell runs out before they are ready to zip.

Another consideration is ventilation. Air exchange is important. Vents should stay open.

50-60% is "usually" way too high for most folks around here. How humid is it where you live? Local conditions make a big difference. If you live somewhere arid and dry, you can run a little higher, but if you live somewhere humid (like me), I run with absolutely no water in my incubator until day 18, and it still holds 30-35%. My goal is 33% or less.

Candle every so often and watch air cells. I would bet your air cells stayed too small, the chicks get too big and then can't make their way out. Not enough room in the egg. Or, they drown from excess moisture still inside the membrane. And if they internally pip, the small air cell runs out before they are ready to zip.

Another consideration is ventilation. Air exchange is important. Vents should stay open.
It's fairly dry here for the most part. I don't really add much water at all and it's that high. I won't add any next time. And I'll make sure to leave all the vents open as well. Thanks! I would love it if they would hatch!

Back
Top Bottom