Halloween costume ideas please.... Crazy Chicken Lady???

jossanne

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 11, 2008
Gila, New Mexico
Everyone in our little town knows I'm the crazy chicken lady, and I'm constantly ribbed about it. So that's what I need to do for my costume this Halloween. I'm on a very limited budget, and my time to get dressed on Halloween will be VERY short. I get home from work around 7pm, and the party starts at 6pm. Can't wear my costume to work, because I work at the WalMart bakery.

So this is what I'm thinking:

Rat my hair (medium long) and hang feathers in it.
Dumpy old skirt and shirt that I can find at a thrift store.
Stick feathers to the clothes.
Basket full of eggs, possibly a stuffed chicken on my shoulder. A real one is out of the question, darn it, as the party is inside our church LOL.

And there I'm stuck. Sounds boring up to this point, and I want it to be cute and funny, while not altogether weird. Well, not TOO weird.

And my hubby needs to be HEN-PECKED! How do we do that?

Ha ha- too funny!
One year I got an old flannel nightgown from Goodwill and I sewed stuffed cats all over it (the kids had tons of beanie babies), and ratted my hair out. Kinda like the cat lady on the Simpsons.

Maybe you could get one of those "bald in the middle monk wigs" for your husband to make him look hen-pecked?

Thanks HappyMtn! He's 6'4" so I don't think a monk wig will show up well to most people. They wouldn't see that he is bald in the middle.
smile.png

He says that he doesn't want to be hen-pecked. He'll be a rooster instead. That should be fairly easy. We'll get him a dark red sweatsuit and I'll sew red "feathers" on the wings and red and green tail "feathers." I'll make a comb and wattles out of red felt, and stuff the comb so it stands up well. I'll figure out how to sew chicken feet and make a beak out of poster board.

Still working on the crazy chicken lady. I think I'll wear jeans rolled up with a plaid shirt and suspenders instead of a funky skirt and blouse.

Any more ideas?

The tail!! He has do have some grandeous (sp?) tail that he fusses with all of the time...And maybe some more glued to his arms, again that he fusses with constantly.

(Please-just make sure you buy kind feathers. The feather trade-especially out of China and Mexico is absolutely horrific,,,,).Maybe pick some out of your yard?Or cheap synthetic versions?

Last edited:
One year I made a "sorcerer's apprentice" custome for my son. I got this great stuff from the fabric store (forgive me- I'm NOT a seamstress and don't know what it's called) that you iron on to the back of fabrics and it makes them stiff. His giant cone hat stood up all night- even in the rain. That might be an easy way to make a single comb stand up. Think it comes in different thicknesses.

Need muck boots for the crazy chicken lady.
A single comb can easily be made from the thin foam at craft stores (Foamtastic) for your rooster.
Can't wait to see pics when you are all dressed up!

Back
Top Bottom