HALLOWEGG Decorating Contest- Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally, & BantyChooks

I had a long post I tried to enter 3 times but every time I use spell check it gets eaten...
I still want to say it but I think I need to wait until i no longer want to throw my computer out the window

let's see if my phone works better :p

Sorry but the reason is the rules say not too, the contest started several weeks ago and it wouldn't be fair to other people to change the rule at this point. 

@Sally Sunshine

@BantyChooks

I think we both were just wondering if there was a reason behind the rule.

I've dyed MANY eggs using quite a few techniques. from natural dyes, to painting, to wax resist, to etching. Some techniques are easier with intact eggs, other applications are far simpler when the egg is blown out. But nothing is worse than putting many hours into an egg only to have it exploded on you. :sick

here are some tips for drying out intact eggs to minimize the chance of blow out.

get a few desiccant packs ( the kind you find in the box with new shoes or small appliances.

get a shoe box and fill with about an inch of rice. Stick the end of the egg you want to be the bottom into the rice.

layer desiccant packs and rice until the eggs are covered.

stick this in the fridge for about three weeks. Then move to a safe dry place to finish drying. It can take several weeks for the drying process to finish depending on the size of the Egg.

You can skip putting the box in the fridge I just get paranoid since I've had a couple blow :oops:

Last edited:
let's see if my phone works better :p
I think we both were just wondering if there was a reason behind the rule.

I've dyed MANY eggs using quite a few techniques. from natural dyes, to painting, to wax resist, to etching. Some techniques are easier with intact eggs, other applications are far simpler when the egg is blown out. But nothing is worse than putting many hours into an egg only to have it exploded on you. :sick

here are some tips for drying out intact eggs to minimize the chance of blow out.

get a few desiccant packs ( the kind you find in the box with new shoes or small appliances.

get a shoe box and fill with about an inch of rice. Stick the end of the egg you want to be the bottom into the rice.

layer desiccant packs and rice until the eggs are covered.

stick this in the fridge for about three weeks. Then move to a safe dry place to finish drying. It can take several weeks for the drying process to finish depending on the size of the Egg.

You can skip putting the box in the fridge I just get paranoid since I've had a couple blow :oops:

Yes I was curious for the reasoning behind it. Not sure how it would be an advantage or disadvantage over hard boiled. More a preservation issue for me. My eggs are fertilized so I wouldn't want to risk trying to dry them out. I have found fertilized eggs rot instead of drying.

first submission.

child is interfering with egg decorating. we'll see how many I can actually do.

I have a zombie cat vs. zombie chicken egg that I need to put the finishing touches on, but it should be done soon.

I second questioning the no hollowing out of the eggs.
mine are going to hang from a spooky egg tree. but I can't hang them unless they are blown out or fully dehydrated. plus I Don't want a potential stink bomb if the toddler cracks one.

That is amazing! So truly scary looking, I know it has to be a duck egg. I wish I had talent.

I just had an epiphany! I know what I'm going to enter! Just gotta look over those rules one more time before I get started!! (And NO, I am NOT entering my platter of deviled eggs, scary as they may look!)

I just had an epiphany! I know what I'm going to enter! Just gotta look over those rules one more time before I get started!! (And NO, I am NOT entering my platter of deviled eggs, scary as they may look!)

YAY, Blooie's going to play along! Can't wait to see your entry!

Back
Top Bottom