Hamburg thread!

Pics
love.gif
LOVE my Hamburgs
love.gif

I have two girls and they are so beautiful & sprightly - they lay an egg every day and they have sooo much personality !!

15513_p5086098.jpg

Ok so there is one big thing I do not like about my Hamburgs. The rooster "Herr Hamburg" doesn't take care of his hen. He left her and went behind a wood pile (a good 1/4 acre from the coop). My Marans roo would never ever do that. He keeps his six women in line and with him. When it was time to put them up Herr took us on a half hour long wild chicken chase all over the woods. He did NOT run to his hen. Is this common in this breed? I know they're flighty but to abandon his hen? My husband was ready to put him in the pot right then and there. At this point free ranging is not in his future! He is good at it, but he won't protect Frau Hamburg and he won't be herded back to the coop.

I love love love my Marans roo. He knows his name, he is quite tame (but not in a jump in your lap sort of way) and he takes excellent care of his ladies.

sabella I hope that this is not true about each and every Hamburg rooster. I have never heard that story about any rooster before. Is this the first time that this happened ? Very unlucky

minnesotachickenbreeder very handsome chicks. Sure wish the citron were in my future. I ordered five red spangled pullets from Ideal just as a test and even they are pretty. I need more space. It would be a pity to have a flock of beautiful birds who are excellent range chickens and not be able to exercise this ability.

My new kid- named Elvis by my daughter (his future wives are Maggie, Terre, and Suzzy: they do not give out their names or their phone numbers) surveys his kingdom from the top perch in his Tower of Solitude. Unless my math has gone wonky, he's eight weeks old.

P1010645.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom