Cbutler

Songster
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
We have a pekin that’s newly handicapped. She’s kept inside in a play pen so she has soft bedding. She’s not able to walk anymore but is able to get around her room and has 24/7 access to food and water. In the last 6 weeks she has lost 2 pounds. Her appetite is perfect, no change at all. Her vet is highly suspecting it’s muscle atrophy but that being said she needs to put the weight back on. Does anyone have advice?

She is full grown, no chance of flying. She is at 5.6lbs. She was 7.2. She’s a jumbo so her vet said ideal would be around 7lbs

The others noted above might have better or at least more informed thoughts, but I'd consider switching to a higher protein feed. Figure "angel wing" isn't an issue since she can't fly anyway and she's presumably full grown.

And as always, can we see some pictures/video of her? Because we love that stuff on this site.

Attachments

• 06B090BC-FDC9-415C-8815-A70E0816C991.jpeg
    06B090BC-FDC9-415C-8815-A70E0816C991.jpeg
    240.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 586BF5EB-7A30-43C3-B3C5-DC0B22CE4912.jpeg
    586BF5EB-7A30-43C3-B3C5-DC0B22CE4912.jpeg
    446.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 79D39841-95DE-45E6-99D2-DF072FF581B9.jpeg
    79D39841-95DE-45E6-99D2-DF072FF581B9.jpeg
    871.7 KB · Views: 25
A few questions! Why is she handicapped? How does she get around without walking? Does she have any use of her legs at all, and if so, would water therapy be an option?

We got her from a lake with a horrible case of Bumblefoot. We got that resolved but she was still limping. Did xrays and her hock joint is basically nonexistent. The vet said it’s likely her immune system breaking down the joint. We tried 6 weeks of casting and anti inflammatories to try to help. We did follow up xrays today and the joint is significantly worse. She no longer has function of that leg. She can move it but cannot apply pressure. She either stands on her good leg and uses her wings to balance her while she walks but mostly moves around either using her beak or her leg to move. She’s inside in a padded room so there’s no chance of hurting herself. We’ve tried water therapy to help with muscle control but at this point she’s considered handicapped. She won’t regain function of that leg regardless. She’s happy with being an inside duck that gets all the attention. Just trying to put weight back on her!

She is absolutely adorable and that picture with your dog with his/her head over Clara is precious. :love

What are you feeding her now? I'd pick up a good quality Kitten dry food for her. It is usually small pieces easy to eat for a duck. My ducks love Salmon and Pea grain free dog food from Sams club they get it as a snack. I am betting if you give her this along with An all flock feed you'll notice her putting on some good weight.
And I want to say Bless you for rescuing her. Anytime we read about a rescue it's very heart warming and to me you all are hero's. And to take care of her the way you are just makes it even more special. Just to know 1 more sweet duck has found a safe home again means a lot. Bless you and please keep us updated on Clara.

Thank you so much for the advice! She’s a sweet girl. I’ll try adding some cat food and update!

She is absolutely adorable and that picture with your dog with his/her head over Clara is precious. :love

What are you feeding her now? I'd pick up a good quality Kitten dry food for her. It is usually small pieces easy to eat for a duck. My ducks love Salmon and Pea grain free dog food from Sams club they get it as a snack. I am betting if you give her this along with An all flock feed you'll notice her putting on some good weight.
And I want to say Bless you for rescuing her. Anytime we read about a rescue it's very heart warming and to me you all are hero's. And to take care of her the way you are just makes it even more special. Just to know 1 more sweet duck has found a safe home again means a lot. Bless you and please keep us updated on Clara.

The others noted above might have better or at least more informed thoughts, but I'd consider switching to a higher protein feed. Figure "angel wing" isn't an issue since she can't fly anyway and she's presumably full grown.

And as always, can we see some pictures/video of her? Because we love that stuff on this site.

At most tractor supply stores they sell poultry grower which is a fattening, high protien, feed that most people use when they intend on raising their poultry for meat. This may help with weight gain, but I'm not 100% if this is the best/safest option but you can ask the employees at the shop or around here. Also she is such a cutie, those photos warmed my heart!

Back
Top Bottom