Very sick Pekin duck

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
I have a Pekin duck that is pretty sick. She’s now not eating at all this morning. Just kind of stands in one place and she’s very thirsty. Very lethargic. just a couple weeks ago she was about five or 6 pounds now she is about 3 1/2 very very light. Her eyes aren’t totally open today either. she seems kind of out of it too. I do not have a vet close by and I can’t afford one. Anyway, so I have to do everything on my own. I’m wondering if it could be lead poisoning? we have a lot of squirrels in our yard and they keep Going underneath our vehicles and going inside so we have been shooting them with a pellet gun but I didn’t realize until a couple days ago that they were lead pellets and I think the birds have been eating them. I already lost one duck about a month ago. Any other ideas? Or what to do to help Jemima or my other ducks and chickens. No one else has any symptoms yet? Thank you.
C2C1823C-E8E8-4C00-8C6A-75C842C20FCE.jpeg

Can you bring her inside and place her in a warm room? 80-85 degrees is ideal. What does her poop ok like?
I can put her back in the duck house for the day which would be a little warmer than outside. It’s been raining for a day and a half now so it’s damp out. I haven’t gotten a picture of her droppings, but the one I saw was a little watery and had some white in it

Sick birds really need to be in a warm hospital cage or room.
My mom is allergic to animals so I cannot take her in the house. I can heat some hot water bottles and put her in a kennel in the duck house. Would that be OK? Jemima is also very cranky. Doesn’t want anyone holding her or touching her.

I have a Pekin duck that is pretty sick. She’s now not eating at all this morning. Just kind of stands in one place and she’s very thirsty. Very lethargic. just a couple weeks ago she was about five or 6 pounds now she is about 3 1/2 very very light. Her eyes aren’t totally open today either. she seems kind of out of it too. I do not have a vet close by and I can’t afford one. Anyway, so I have to do everything on my own. I’m wondering if it could be lead poisoning? we have a lot of squirrels in our yard and they keep Going underneath our vehicles and going inside so we have been shooting them with a pellet gun but I didn’t realize until a couple days ago that they were lead pellets and I think the birds have been eating them. I already lost one duck about a month ago. Any other ideas? Or what to do to help Jemima or my other ducks and chickens. No one else has any symptoms yet? Thank you.View attachment 3667932
Try giving it doxycycline, its an antibiotic humans take for a number of things, like lime disease. You can get it at the pet store or online under Fish Doxy. It has cured a number of my birds when they are sick or have an infection, even bumblefoot itll help. Its pretty amazing.

Try giving it doxycycline, its an antibiotic humans take for a number of things, like lime disease. You can get it at the pet store or online under Fish Doxy. It has cured a number of my birds when they are sick or have an infection, even bumblefoot itll help. Its pretty amazing.
Ok, thanks. I will look into it

Back
Top Bottom