Handling a young cockerel tips?

Hi, I am not sure if the last comment was for me, but I will certainly try my best to explain as best as I can.
I have 2 main breeding roosters in my flock. They each have their own hens and each their own personality.
Both I can pick up freely. One is actually the main dominant over the other, but from time to time they do try to pinch each other's hens. This can cause trouble ..
What I do is pick one up. Scoop if they dont want to be. Neither has ever pecked me.
Timing is variable. For example, one rooster took a dislike to a man who was helping me prepare something at an outside table. THe rooster left his hens and was giving all the signs of going to charge him. I scooped him up and walked him calmly away from sight around a corner, talking gently to him and stroking him at the same time. About 2 minutes .
One young rooster unusually timid, I would pick up from his roost at night when I was doing my rounds, and stroke him and talk to him, offer him food.... every night until he trusted that I wasn't going to be anything other than a nice experience .... and he would then, like all the others join in for hand feeding etc .Better than his usual timid self. Duration depended how tired I was !! But if I religiously do this with a timid bird, night is best for me . Might not suit everyone , but it works for me.

I once had a large Rhode Island Red not long ago who was very naughty and would quietly but swiftly appear from nowhere from behind and try to peck me. He Definitely fancied his chances at becoming top rooster as he was very big. I would have to be quick, but could scoop him up and the fact that I was merely able to appears to be a show of dominance to them. I would walk around a bit , maybe three to four minutes or longer if he was scrobbling to get away, until he calmed down.... then I would slowly lower him keeping his body secure so he couldn't flap out erratically, and gently place him down. Didn't matter where. This does appear to make the roosters aware that aggressive behaviour is unacceptable. Or maybe they cannot figure out how it is you are able to immobilise them ? It might not make him your best friend, but earns his respect.

Incidentally, regarding the main birds....as far as I have observed, it makes no difference at all to their standing in the flock as top birds.

I mentioned earlier that they have amazing memories. In my experience anyone teasing a rooster is marked . Even if there is a period apart. They always remember . So when my birds are being rehomed, I explain this to the new owners. Don't tease and don't let them become the boss. I won't give roosters like the one I mentioned to any family with children. They are too large and I would hate any to hurt a child !!.

This is the basic way I deal with my roosters.
It is a long winded description, but I hope it helps.
Incidentally all of my birds are bred on the property, not purchased to come in as outsiders . So I do know most pretty well.
Any new birds are bought in as eggs and put under a broody or incubated.

Good detail and provides much insight into your situation.

I have a lot of chickens as well where almost all are bred and raised by me. The number of roosters is also comparably high and all are expected to be easy to work around. I am not keen on being flogged or pecked and have small kids that still do not know how to behave around chickens that might be in a sour mood.

The approach I use typical of that used by keepers of fighting chickens. Fighting chickens that attack you the handler can be literally dangerous when armed. An even bigger problem is that others also into the breed would not hold you in high regard if one of your birds is what can be called a man-fighter. It can be an indication of poor husbandry skills.

The emphasis I provide is that you do what it takes to prevent the aggression in the first place. If you are not well versed in rooster management, then get rid of a rooster that goes after people.

The keeper being dominant is like pumping up a BB gun so it can shoot. You insert yourself into the pecking order. The roosters will often want to challenge that with you or someone like you that might appear to be another challenger. There are other ways to "pump up the gun" but do not seem applicable in your situation.

My suggestion is you quit thinking about yourself being the dominant bird. Do not handle the birds just to prove who is boss. Try to behave as if they are not even there. Do not doing something that a hen or immature bird wants to get away from be certain your manner of contacting birds does not come across as a subtle threat.. Touch from the side with back of the hands and do not pursue with the grabs.

I agree entirely, and thank you so much for your insight.
I noted how one young rooster behaved and it cured him of his habit. He was rehomed and I did tell the owner of his past behaviour.
Certainly I do not tolerate roosters who are vicious. I have only had one such bird who saw a number of his hens killed by dogs. The man who wanted him , took him as a breeding bird and had no other purpose than to increase the size of bird in his flock. He was a Barred Rock.

So I'm all honesty I have only had one bird who was disruptive and his layout of territory some acres away from the main setup.
I don't see myself as anything but a keeper who respects his flock and handles them in a way which breeds happy, contented birds . If someone wishes to get close to their new acquisition I am only suggesting my way of making them trust you.
For example... those chicks suddenly abandoned by the mother have not been handled at all. When I check on them, to pick them up at night does make them accept you very readily as a newcomer to their world. It isn't a pecking order thing , just a way that works for me with nervous pullets.
I guess I am doing things my way and to date my birds are all extremely friendly and a pleasure to pass on to others who truly want hand reared chickens. It is the only way I know how to do this.

I hope that perhaps what works for me along the way might help another. It may not but then just as every hen and rooster different in temperament, so will our ways of dealing with them.
I must emphasise that I already have two roosters who indeed are at the top of the pecking order and they see me as someone they respect. Perhaps I have made too much of it, but in no way would I try to usurp their natural reign . They are both easy going and never ever have pecked me and certainly I would not tolerate a bird who did. Naturally they peck for attention , pull at clothes and so on, but I see that as a means of their communication for cuddles etc.

I guess it is all about trust and respect . Not trying to be no 1 chicken ... I am grinning.

Totally off topic, but i convinced Hawk to sit on my arm like a parrot tonight. :lol: :love He sued to be able to fit on my shoulder..... I must've shrunk or somthing. XD

It is very hard to keep hands-off when they are so adorable though... :lau This is Peep-Peep being a sleepy snugglebug and enjoying a good headscratching.

Awwwww!!! :lau Reminds me a bit of Fowler.... Tried to be a big bossy brat, but if you caught him he'd fall asleep in your lap. :lol: Miss that about him - but not the torture he did to the hens. :rolleyes:

Yahoo!!! Isn't that the most wonderful feeling. That's Trust ! Congratulations.

He USED to sit on my arm like that all the time - it was nice to catch up with him. XD Him in one hand and his girlfriend in the other. My two favorite wellies. :love

That is soo gorgeous. Bliss. You cannot deny that.
I have noticed that mine go very pale when they are simply contented. It is extraordinary how their colour changes . When they are egg laying they are almost purple!! Haha. Not sure whether anyone has noticed the effort that it takes for one egg.
I feel like saying "breathe breathe ... push push." Sounds daft but I have changed my attitude towards the humble egg with the daily effort a hen goes through.
I wonder if anyone else feels the same?
I adore the video...thanks for sharing.

That is soo gorgeous. Bliss. You cannot deny that.
I have noticed that mine go very pale when they are simply contented. It is extraordinary how their colour changes . When they are egg laying they are almost purple!! Haha. Not sure whether anyone has noticed the effort that it takes for one egg.
I feel like saying "breathe breathe ... push push." Sounds daft but I have changed my attitude towards the humble egg with the daily effort a hen goes through.
I wonder if anyone else feels the same?
I adore the video...thanks for sharing.

We used to have a BO roo (RIP Arrow) who's comb would purple when he was sitting in the sun! :lol: And when the hens are chillin in a dust hole they do get really pale! I always thought that was cuz they were cooling off though.... Eh who knows. :p

Back
Top Bottom