Handling a young cockerel tips?

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
I have a young silkie who has come of age, he has started crowing... If you can call yelling "WOOOO!" crowing, and this morning he tried to mate with my foot... :lau

It was 8 am when he started "woo"ing and I was concerned about the neighbors even though it wasn't very loud, so I went out to get him and he did another "WOOO" and ran at me, I didn't move and just watched as he grabbed my trouser leg, and, well, tried to mate with my foot. I picked him up after he tried to mount my foot and he just did confused whines at me and wriggled his legs like he was trying to swim in the air, silly thing. :p

Where are your eyes.png

He is a total snuggle-bug and softie still and so far him and his dad have been getting along fine without any fighting, but I am wondering about any tips and tricks on raising these rowdy teens.

Not ever having any Silkies, I can't really give advice specifically about them, but I can tell you what Mary has said - you'd best discipline the young man now or risk consequences.

Continuing to handle and cuddle a cockerel after he has had his hormones activated and especially after he shows aggressive tendencies, sends confusing messages to him.

Understand that an aggressive cockerel is behaving that way because he no longer has complete trust in you and may view you as a possible threat. Defining your role and his role as two separate things is what is needed.

My advice in these cases is to ignore your cockerel, allowing him to find his role and grow into it with as little interference as possible. Intervene only when he needs discipline when he shows aggression, and "mating" with your shoe is aggression, make no mistake about it.

Immobilizing a cockerel as soon as he displays aggression, only allowing him his freedom after he calms down and submits, is the easiest method. Walk toward him but never detour if he doesn't move. Keep walking until he gets out of your way. These are the rules a cockerel will understand, and as training a dog makes a dog more secure, this will also help to inspire trust between you and your cockerel.

He's not being a good boy if he runs at you or makes contact IN ANY WAY. It may look cute now, but it won't be cute later. He should move away from you and respect your space at all times. 'Friendly' cockerels are often the bold ones who turn into human aggressive jerks! I'd recommend that you stop handling him and retrain him to keep a respectful distance at all times. Beekissed has a good article about raising cockerels that's here in several places; it may help. Mary

Always make sure you let the cockerel know you are boss, not him. If you need to, chase him around a little or force him to squat-an act of submission. He can still sit on your lap, but you must invite him, he doesn't decide when he does it. I know it may sound mean, but it is going to be helpful later if he does turn aggressive, which is likely for friendly cockerels. Don't kick him or hit him, which will only make him resent you and it will break the good relationship you seem to have with him. Bring him a yummy treat when you go out to visit him, it will help him see (if he were ever to turn aggressive) that when you come, it means good things.

It is interesting to see how others deal with their roosters and domination is certainly the key no matter what age the bird.
I have huge birds I am breeding and every now and then one will show aggression. My method of handling this is to quickly scoop them up before anything happens. If they are trying to be dominant this quickly shows them they are not the boss.
I never ever use any force ever, as this will only suggest combat and they will see you as foe. I have learned this by watching how others deal with their roosters and it never heals the relationship ever. Hens and roosters have amazing memories . They watch everything you do, and by scooping up the rooster calmly, petting him to calm him down, and placing him somewhere you want him to be .....gently . The key to picking up a bird in my experience is to not only pick them up gently, but to put them down gently as well. If they have an uncomfortable landing, they remember the act of being handled as being uncomfortable and will remember that also!!
So dominance can be non aggressive, simply by doing something other than he had in mind gently. In my experience it has worked every time . The flock watches and you hold the top position. That is really important. I agree with everything others have mentioned.
Hope this helps ...

Hehey, y'all mind if I hop onto this thread?
I've got a welsummer cockerel who I have a bad feeling about... He's about 3 months old, started crowing at 8 weeks, and since then has become quite the bossy little brat. :rolleyes:

We ordered 5 wellies, four pullets and a cockerel, from our feed store, and they ordered an extra - turns out we got TWO boys and four girls. :hmm The cockerel that had the red dye on his head was always (and still is) SUPER chill. Not pushy, not super friendly, none of that. He's just cool with people. :love He also matured WAY slower than Hawk... It looks like Rooster is a week younger then him! :/ And then Hawk..... Hawk was always the problem child. He was the eye-pecker. Most aggressive chick I've ever seen, and although he hasn't attacked me (yet), any tips on keeping him from becoming overly agressive? He's turned at me and fluffed his hackles, but I smacked his tail and pushed him away. Im not going to kick him until he kicks me - i figure if ikickhim now, he'll realize that my leg is a target. Since he crowed I've only held him if I had to, to let him grow up and figure out rooster thongs on his own - also not to "embarrass" him in front of his girls (who are too young to even care :lol: ). I pet him on the roost and he does that "purr" at me, like "skedaddle lady,I'm to manly to be pet" :lol:

Advice? Tia

I've been following this thread because my roosters are at the age where they are interested in the girls. I have 3 cockerels and 9 hens, all about 4 months old. Red Rider, my Rhode Island Red has proclaimed himself as the leader, although he just begun trying to mate. Pearl, an Easter Egger, is low man but has been actively mating for a little while now. Just the past 2 days he gets told to knock it off by Red Rider. It's fun watching the ever-changing behaviors like with the rooster bowing down when a hen comes to check out what he's eating, the little side steps, a purring sort of sound. I don't know what they mean yet.

Last edited:
Hi, I am not sure if the last comment was for me, but I will certainly try my best to explain as best as I can.
I have 2 main breeding roosters in my flock. They each have their own hens and each their own personality.
Both I can pick up freely. One is actually the main dominant over the other, but from time to time they do try to pinch each other's hens. This can cause trouble ..
What I do is pick one up. Scoop if they dont want to be. Neither has ever pecked me.
Timing is variable. For example, one rooster took a dislike to a man who was helping me prepare something at an outside table. THe rooster left his hens and was giving all the signs of going to charge him. I scooped him up and walked him calmly away from sight around a corner, talking gently to him and stroking him at the same time. About 2 minutes .
One young rooster unusually timid, I would pick up from his roost at night when I was doing my rounds, and stroke him and talk to him, offer him food.... every night until he trusted that I wasn't going to be anything other than a nice experience .... and he would then, like all the others join in for hand feeding etc .Better than his usual timid self. Duration depended how tired I was !! But if I religiously do this with a timid bird, night is best for me . Might not suit everyone , but it works for me.

I once had a large Rhode Island Red not long ago who was very naughty and would quietly but swiftly appear from nowhere from behind and try to peck me. He Definitely fancied his chances at becoming top rooster as he was very big. I would have to be quick, but could scoop him up and the fact that I was merely able to appears to be a show of dominance to them. I would walk around a bit , maybe three to four minutes or longer if he was scrobbling to get away, until he calmed down.... then I would slowly lower him keeping his body secure so he couldn't flap out erratically, and gently place him down. Didn't matter where. This does appear to make the roosters aware that aggressive behaviour is unacceptable. Or maybe they cannot figure out how it is you are able to immobilise them ? It might not make him your best friend, but earns his respect.

Incidentally, regarding the main birds....as far as I have observed, it makes no difference at all to their standing in the flock as top birds.

I mentioned earlier that they have amazing memories. In my experience anyone teasing a rooster is marked . Even if there is a period apart. They always remember . So when my birds are being rehomed, I explain this to the new owners. Don't tease and don't let them become the boss. I won't give roosters like the one I mentioned to any family with children. They are too large and I would hate any to hurt a child !!.

This is the basic way I deal with my roosters.
It is a long winded description, but I hope it helps.
Incidentally all of my birds are bred on the property, not purchased to come in as outsiders . So I do know most pretty well.
Any new birds are bought in as eggs and put under a broody or incubated.

Back
Top Bottom