Handling a young cockerel tips?

I have three girls who try to "hide" like that.... They were fussy babies,so we'd (me and sis) bring them inside and letthem sleep in a big sweatshirt sleeve (while we wore it). Now they think we're their actual mothers. :lau Its what a baby chick does to a mama chicken - crawls under their wings.

So, just saw something that baffled me. Hen-Hen is Rooroo's girl, yet... When Peep-Peep dared to do a wing dance to the hen, Rooroo didn't even bat an eyelid even though he could see what was going on.

Peep-Peep still got beaten up, but that was from the unamused hen after she snapped out of confusion over what her crazy son was doing. I was pretty sure Rooroo would have chased Peep-Peep off or gave him a peck or even challenged him over the fact Peep-Peep was flirting with his mate, but... He didn't have a care in the world despite being so closely bonded that they are near inseparable and her bearing two clutches of his young.

Two of our roos were kinda that to some extent.... When Arrow was big boss, Bear got it handed to him if he tried to mate. But when Bear was boss, he was actually super chill if Arrow mated a hen. :confused: Could've had something to do with Bear's hip injury, but still.... It was weird.

Very good insight.... Excellent post! :D
My one reason for not picking up the roos though.... Trying to look at it from their point of view, being held is embarassing for them, and although they do need to be okay with being held, ive only ever had one roo who actually enjoyed being held. They never saw it (or acted like) it was a good experience, ya know?
Ive seen alot of differsnt methods for this and everyone does something different - i want to be familiar with as many methods as i can before i settle on one permanently.

Another way I've heard is to make the rooster see that you arent something that opposes him or is a threat to his authority of the flock. For him to realize that you're a human, he's a chicken. I thought it was kinda silly but it made good sense.

Totally off topic, but i convinced Hawk to sit on my arm like a parrot tonight. :lol: :love He sued to be able to fit on my shoulder..... I must've shrunk or somthing. XD

It is very hard to keep hands-off when they are so adorable though... :lau This is Peep-Peep being a sleepy snugglebug and enjoying a good headscratching.

Awwwww!!! :lau Reminds me a bit of Fowler.... Tried to be a big bossy brat, but if you caught him he'd fall asleep in your lap. :lol: Miss that about him - but not the torture he did to the hens. :rolleyes:

Yahoo!!! Isn't that the most wonderful feeling. That's Trust ! Congratulations.

He USED to sit on my arm like that all the time - it was nice to catch up with him. XD Him in one hand and his girlfriend in the other. My two favorite wellies. :love

That is soo gorgeous. Bliss. You cannot deny that.
I have noticed that mine go very pale when they are simply contented. It is extraordinary how their colour changes . When they are egg laying they are almost purple!! Haha. Not sure whether anyone has noticed the effort that it takes for one egg.
I feel like saying "breathe breathe ... push push." Sounds daft but I have changed my attitude towards the humble egg with the daily effort a hen goes through.
I wonder if anyone else feels the same?
I adore the video...thanks for sharing.

We used to have a BO roo (RIP Arrow) who's comb would purple when he was sitting in the sun! :lol: And when the hens are chillin in a dust hole they do get really pale! I always thought that was cuz they were cooling off though.... Eh who knows. :p

He's not being a good boy if he runs at you or makes contact IN ANY WAY. It may look cute now, but it won't be cute later. He should move away from you and respect your space at all times. 'Friendly' cockerels are often the bold ones who turn into human aggressive jerks! I'd recommend that you stop handling him and retrain him to keep a respectful distance at all times. Beekissed has a good article about raising cockerels that's here in several places; it may help. Mary

He only ran at me once today, and usually he likes to rest on my lap or follow me around whining for treats. I did give him a poke (he learned as a chick that means he did wrong, as I'd give them a light tap on the head or neck if they misbehaved) after he mounted my foot and he hasn't done it again today.

His father follows me around and begs for treats also, but isn't human-aggressive and is very friendly and enjoys being petted, he and Peep-Peep do move out of my way when I walk their way, and if they feel stubborn and refuse to budge, I poke them lightly and nudge them so they'll move, though I also have to do that with the hens as they are also stubborn buggers, more-so than the Peep-Peep and Roo-Roo are.

Back
Top Bottom