Handling baby chicks

Mikefoldsben

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2019
So my wife and I just got baby chicks about a week and a half ago. Every time we open up the brooder they are absolutely terrified of us. I’ve tried putting food in my hand and leaving it down for up to 10 minutes or 20 and they won’t approach me whatsoever. Seems how we are new to this, I am worried that the checks won’t act accordingly as adults. Is this normal for the checks to be scared even when we’ve had them for a week and a half?

If some giant would suddenly tear open the roof of your house and reach in it would probably scare the bejeezus out of you too. Try taking things slow, talk to the chicks as you do it, I've found gently picking them up and talking to them works to calm them down. Eventually they get use to it. Keep in mind, I'm not a "chickens as pets" person but I don't want mine running from me either. Eventually, by acting in a calm manner and not startling them, my chicks/chickens acclimate to me pretty well.

So my wife and I just got baby chicks about a week and a half ago. Every time we open up the brooder they are absolutely terrified of us. I’ve tried putting food in my hand and leaving it down for up to 10 minutes or 20 and they won’t approach me whatsoever. Seems how we are new to this, I am worried that the checks won’t act accordingly as adults. Is this normal for the checks to be scared even when we’ve had them for a week and a half?
It's normal for them to be timid.
How is your brooder set-up?
If you are having to hover, that makes it more scary for them.
Any way you can get more on their level? If I have chicks inside and they are located on the floor, I sit down on a short bucket so I'm not leaning over so much. Talk to them and don't try to touch at all. Leave her hand down there for them to explore.
I do prefer brooding outside, my grow out pen comes about thigh high or so, much easier and chicks can come to me how they see fit. I try not to force the interactions. Once you get one chick fairly tamed, the others usually follow suit.

Some breeds are more cautious as well, so it takes time for them to become accustomed.

If some giant would suddenly tear open the roof of your house and reach in it would probably scare the bejeezus out of you too. Try taking things slow, talk to the chicks as you do it, I've found gently picking them up and talking to them works to calm them down. Eventually they get use to it. Keep in mind, I'm not a "chickens as pets" person but I don't want mine running from me either. Eventually, by acting in a calm manner and not startling them, my chicks/chickens acclimate to me pretty well.
That's an excellent explanation of the chicks' POV. The first brooder I had opened from the top. The one I use now has a side door. BIG difference.

I enter from the top of my brooder. When that is all you have, that is all you have. What you need is a better bribe. I use meal worms. I start to train them right out of the egg, but I bet older chick will learn too. Mine come running to any hand. Several will jump on the hand too.

What breed chicks are they? Some breeds are just more skittish.

Speak softly and just hang out with them so they get used to your voice and you being there randomly.
My chicks run away then run back when I stick my hand in there.
91C039F7-6A32-4BA5-9D1F-A9A7355900EE.jpeg

Other than that meal worms are your friends but I think they aren’t supposed to have that until older? I could be wrong but if you do make sure they have grit.

Back
Top Bottom