Handling Roosters

elite8

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 16, 2010
40/42 North Carolina
Hi,
I now have a young flock...about 15 wks. Two of the 'hens' are actually roosters. Cuckoo Marans. One of them is definitely dominant over the other and they have no problems. The dominant one is maturing much faster though so I am thinking that they could eventually become more aggressive in the future toward each other. Right now I am actually glad to have them as protectors of the pullets. I also have some BCM's in the brooder right now and intend to keep a rooster from that group for breeding. I certainly don't need 3 roosters. What would be the best way to cull a rooster? Should I go ahead now and cull one of the CM's before they get more aggressive? How hard is it to pickup a full grown rooster and how would you do it? I don't mind handling aggressive animals but could use some pointers on the best way to do it if necessary. Thanks for your time...

I sold my extra roos on Craigslist. BUT, you have to be REALLY careful not to sell them to cock fighters! Good luck!
big_smile.png

You can have 3 roosters it's fine. Unless they're not allowed in your town or your neighbors ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY HATE roosters. I have 4 roos and 9 hens right now and everything's fine. The roos: Barred Rock Obama (BR), Puffy and No-Name (Black Aussies), and Smoky (Silkie) The hens: Dusty, Pigeon, Ms. Medium, Tiny, and No-Name (BRs), Shyann (SLWy), Queen (Light Brahma), Berry (Silkie), and Hawk (EE)

Back
Top Bottom