Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Good morning!

2. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You do have vents open right?

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm so torn on what to do with my staggered hatch! I went looking for another bator to use as a hatcher (after testing the new FI still-air styro and not liking the results!), but couldn't find one locally, and I'm almost out of time. So I kept the FI and I'm going to try to get it stabilized with water this evening, to try to use as a hatcher. But it scares the crap outta me.

I have 2 good lav orp eggs and 7 tiny golden sebright eggs, and 4 old English game bantam eggs on day 17 today. Then last Monday, I added 6 more lav orps, and 4 mutts (light brahma over golden comet). Looks like all 4 of the mutts are developing, and at least 4 of the LO's, so I don't want to lose them. I could put them in the styro, just until the others hatch in the Brinsea, then move them back, but I think I'd rather hatch in the styro.

So with that few eggs, if I decide to hatch in the styro, should I concentrate them in the center square, or scatter them out?

Suggestions... anyone?

4. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

This brings up a bunch of good points. I pulled out the forehead scanner thermometer I use on kids&then there's a few spots in my bater that run hotter then others. So I didn't use those spots, I kinda spread mine around in the calmer spots. I'm new though so not sure I'm suggesting it,just wanted to mention I've too noticed odd spots temp-wise. (for example my auto Turner gets warm in closest three spots after its been on for a few days so I don't use those spots).

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I try to even out the mass between the two sides, but with a few eggs, the center might work better.

6. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks. Maybe I'll concentrate my thermometers more in one localized spot and see if I can get some stable readings in at least one area! lol

Its got the big rounded-square heating element, so I think I might be able to get them all within it. Maybe if I keep them all about the same distance from the element....

[​IMG]

I'm over-thinking it all again, aren't I? [​IMG]

Brinsea spoiled me. Go ahead and smack me. [​IMG]

7. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Lol agree these thoughts plague us by night!

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's the heating element in mine.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Okay, thinking along these lines I'm noticing temp differences in my FI 4200 all of a sudden, and the mass thing is making sense to me. I know I have eggs in there that need to come out,and the same in the Brinsea. Just to refresh memories, I ended up with 28 eggs I didn't expect and they wouldn't fit in the Brinsea so Ken bought the FI so we could divide the eggs up between them. I have 3 eggs that are doing well in the Brinsea, and so far 6 that are looking great in the FI. These are shipped eggs that have had air cell troubles from the start. Seems kind of stupid to me at this point to keep 9 viable eggs split up between two incubators. But Ken planted this little seed of doubt when I was going to put them all in the Brinsea last night...."The eggs that are going well are used to the conditions in the incubators they're in...why mess with it?" So now I am not sure whether to leave things alone, knowing that have at least some viable eggs in each bator, or move them all to one really stable incubator, clean out the FI, and just use it for a hatcher because of the additional room it has in it. Suggestions?

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Personally, at this point, I would remove those that you know w/o a doubt are non viable. I would put all the eggs tht are viable in one, preferably the better one. If you aren't staggered and have room in one for all the viables, I would hatch them right in the one they are incubating in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by