Hands on hatching and help

Lol. I don't know. I havn't checked them this morning because I didn't want to drop the humidity too much on them. I think it took almost 2 hours for the humidity to rise up to 75 % after I took the lid completely off in order to put the eggs in there. Should I crack the bator open and sneak my hand in there to snatch them out and candle them or am I just being paranoid? Maybe I should just walk away and find something to keep my mind off the duckies today...
You do have vents open right?

You should see the imbalence I've been having with mine. I actually got the eggs balanced out in there last night so the areas of the bator are all running about the same now. Started with all three the same, then when I laid the silkie eggs down everything was out of whack. One side hotter than the other, the top of one side warmer than the bottom. None of the therms reading the same. I shifted the eggs around and balanced the mass more proportionately and we are back to all three therms reading within tenths and right where I need it-for the most part...lol

At this point it appears that I have development in 14/18 of ruby's silkie eggs, 2 that never started and 2 that quite w/in 24 hours of forming the first veins. I want to get a good pic, but haven't been able to. All 9 of the Spitz were developng and can't see in the greens.

I am worried about the greens. The greens are big....jumbo sized big. I wasn't thinking when I decided to add them. Well, when I collected them, I didn't realize that ruby's silky eggs were so small...lol (My son says to me, mom, they look like banty eggs...lol I had to explain they actually are. Our silkie eggs aren't that small.) Anyhow, I am keepig the humidity up higher than my norm because the silky eggs' air cells were growing fast and half of my Spitz were already getting there because the oldest waas 10 days. But the greens are sooo big that I'm afraid they wont loose enough. Originally I had planned to do the greens at the end of May or June, but without thinking I decided to add 3 days worth with these guys. I guess we'll see what happens.

I'm so torn on what to do with my staggered hatch! I went looking for another bator to use as a hatcher (after testing the new FI still-air styro and not liking the results!), but couldn't find one locally, and I'm almost out of time. So I kept the FI and I'm going to try to get it stabilized with water this evening, to try to use as a hatcher. But it scares the crap outta me.

I have 2 good lav orp eggs and 7 tiny golden sebright eggs, and 4 old English game bantam eggs on day 17 today. Then last Monday, I added 6 more lav orps, and 4 mutts (light brahma over golden comet). Looks like all 4 of the mutts are developing, and at least 4 of the LO's, so I don't want to lose them. I could put them in the styro, just until the others hatch in the Brinsea, then move them back, but I think I'd rather hatch in the styro.

So with that few eggs, if I decide to hatch in the styro, should I concentrate them in the center square, or scatter them out?

Suggestions... anyone?

I'm so torn on what to do with my staggered hatch!  I went looking for another bator to use as a hatcher (after testing the new FI still-air styro and not liking the results!), but couldn't find one locally, and I'm almost out of time. So I kept the FI and I'm going to try to get it stabilized with water this evening, to try to use as a hatcher.  But it scares the crap outta me. 

I have 2 good lav orp eggs and 7 tiny golden sebright eggs, and 4 old English game bantam eggs on day 17 today.  Then last Monday, I added 6 more lav orps, and 4 mutts (light brahma over golden comet).  Looks like all 4 of the mutts are developing, and at least 4 of the LO's, so I don't want to lose them.  I could put them in the styro, just until the others hatch in the Brinsea, then move them back, but I think I'd rather hatch in the styro.  

So with that few eggs, if I decide to hatch in the styro, should I concentrate them in the center square, or scatter them out?

Suggestions... anyone?

This brings up a bunch of good points. I pulled out the forehead scanner thermometer I use on kids&then there's a few spots in my bater that run hotter then others. So I didn't use those spots, I kinda spread mine around in the calmer spots. I'm new though so not sure I'm suggesting it,just wanted to mention I've too noticed odd spots temp-wise. (for example my auto Turner gets warm in closest three spots after its been on for a few days so I don't use those spots).

I'm so torn on what to do with my staggered hatch! I went looking for another bator to use as a hatcher (after testing the new FI still-air styro and not liking the results!), but couldn't find one locally, and I'm almost out of time. So I kept the FI and I'm going to try to get it stabilized with water this evening, to try to use as a hatcher. But it scares the crap outta me.

I have 2 good lav orp eggs and 7 tiny golden sebright eggs, and 4 old English game bantam eggs on day 17 today. Then last Monday, I added 6 more lav orps, and 4 mutts (light brahma over golden comet). Looks like all 4 of the mutts are developing, and at least 4 of the LO's, so I don't want to lose them. I could put them in the styro, just until the others hatch in the Brinsea, then move them back, but I think I'd rather hatch in the styro.

So with that few eggs, if I decide to hatch in the styro, should I concentrate them in the center square, or scatter them out?

Suggestions... anyone?
I try to even out the mass between the two sides, but with a few eggs, the center might work better.

This brings up a bunch of good points. I pulled out the forehead scanner thermometer I use on kids&then there's a few spots in my bater that run hotter then others. So I didn't use those spots, I kinda spread mine around in the calmer spots. I'm new though so not sure I'm suggesting it,just wanted to mention I've too noticed odd spots temp-wise. (for example my auto Turner gets warm in closest three spots after its been on for a few days so I don't use those spots).

Thanks. Maybe I'll concentrate my thermometers more in one localized spot and see if I can get some stable readings in at least one area! lol

I try to even out the mass between the two sides, but with a few eggs, the center might work better.

Its got the big rounded-square heating element, so I think I might be able to get them all within it. Maybe if I keep them all about the same distance from the element....

imgp0974.jpg

I'm over-thinking it all again, aren't I?
big_smile.png

Brinsea spoiled me. Go ahead and smack me.
gig.gif

Thanks. Maybe I'll concentrate my thermometers more in one localized spot and see if I can get some stable readings in at least one area! lol Its got the big rounded-square heating element, so I think I might be able to get them all within it. Maybe if I keep them all about the same distance from the element....
imgp0974.jpg
I'm over-thinking it all again, aren't I? :D Brinsea spoiled me. Go ahead and smack me. :gig
Lol agree these thoughts plague us by night!

Thanks. Maybe I'll concentrate my thermometers more in one localized spot and see if I can get some stable readings in at least one area! lol

Its got the big rounded-square heating element, so I think I might be able to get them all within it. Maybe if I keep them all about the same distance from the element....

imgp0974.jpg

I'm over-thinking it all again, aren't I?
big_smile.png

Brinsea spoiled me. Go ahead and smack me.
gig.gif
That's the heating element in mine.

Okay, thinking along these lines I'm noticing temp differences in my FI 4200 all of a sudden, and the mass thing is making sense to me. I know I have eggs in there that need to come out,and the same in the Brinsea. Just to refresh memories, I ended up with 28 eggs I didn't expect and they wouldn't fit in the Brinsea so Ken bought the FI so we could divide the eggs up between them. I have 3 eggs that are doing well in the Brinsea, and so far 6 that are looking great in the FI. These are shipped eggs that have had air cell troubles from the start. Seems kind of stupid to me at this point to keep 9 viable eggs split up between two incubators. But Ken planted this little seed of doubt when I was going to put them all in the Brinsea last night...."The eggs that are going well are used to the conditions in the incubators they're in...why mess with it?" So now I am not sure whether to leave things alone, knowing that have at least some viable eggs in each bator, or move them all to one really stable incubator, clean out the FI, and just use it for a hatcher because of the additional room it has in it. Suggestions?

Okay, thinking along these lines I'm noticing temp differences in my FI 4200 all of a sudden, and the mass thing is making sense to me. I know I have eggs in there that need to come out,and the same in the Brinsea. Just to refresh memories, I ended up with 28 eggs I didn't expect and they wouldn't fit in the Brinsea so Ken bought the FI so we could divide the eggs up between them. I have 3 eggs that are doing well in the Brinsea, and so far 6 that are looking great in the FI. These are shipped eggs that have had air cell troubles from the start. Seems kind of stupid to me at this point to keep 9 viable eggs split up between two incubators. But Ken planted this little seed of doubt when I was going to put them all in the Brinsea last night...."The eggs that are going well are used to the conditions in the incubators they're in...why mess with it?" So now I am not sure whether to leave things alone, knowing that have at least some viable eggs in each bator, or move them all to one really stable incubator, clean out the FI, and just use it for a hatcher because of the additional room it has in it. Suggestions?
Personally, at this point, I would remove those that you know w/o a doubt are non viable. I would put all the eggs tht are viable in one, preferably the better one. If you aren't staggered and have room in one for all the viables, I would hatch them right in the one they are incubating in.

Back
Top Bottom