Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Blooie, personally, I'd put them all in the Brinsea for the rest of the time and hatch them there too. But if you feel good enough with the FI, then Ken has a point.

Have you tried any tests with the FI with higher humidity, like will be needed for the final 3 days? If not, you could move all the eggs to the Brinsea, and use this time to test the FI, and decide if you want to hatch in it or not, since its bigger and may offer better viewing as they hatch.

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Thank you both. Putting them all in the Brinsea and then cleaning the FI out and using the time it's empty to test for humidity seems like a good plan......no reason not to hatch them in the Brinsea if I don't like the results of the "test" run in the FI. Thanks again. I already have more eggs with happy moving around little dancers in them than it looked like I'd have last week so I sure would have hated to mess things up at this point. But I do have a few too dark to see into well, so I'm counting those as "questionable" and they stay. Obvious blood rings, clears, and the one that is so porous it looks like an ancient Roman mosaic are out of here!

3. pipAchick

pipAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2016
    VA

Bitting nails over here lol! I'm sorta with Ken(if it ain't broke why fix it?)

What if you drop one when moving them? Plus if one goes completely wrong you sorta have a back up,,,if you put all the eggs in same one&something cruds out on you your up creek with no paddle.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Sounds like a plan! Can't wait to see what you hatch. Remind me, how far are you now?

5. pipAchick

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    Regaurdless what you decide send pics of cute chicks soon! (fingers crossed) @Blooie

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Today is Day 13, Amy. @pipAchick that's also a very valid point....doggone it. [​IMG][​IMG]

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Go with what feels right.

8. pipAchick

Mar 19, 2016
    VA
    @Blooie- flip a coin? [​IMG][​IMG]

9. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    I have one vent open of the two. It's a lil smaller than a marble. The instructions said to open one vent when they hatch and then both once they are hatched to dry them. Not sure how much fresh air it needs. Should I open the other one too?

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY

Yup, that was me on my first lockdown. But then one got stuck zipping. 2 plus hours I waited...finally I had to go against all the warnings of opening and help the little girl out! She's my favorite chicle today!
    Yes, that is a pip! And it pipped ONLY because it's ready to hatch. They are ok!

Follow this and calibrate them, at least you'll know they are accurate.
    http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/making-a-proper-ice-bath/

Yes, this is exactly what you should do!!!

Staggered hatches are giving everyone a run for their money!! Lol. I would use the styro has a hatcher.

Put them all in the brinsea and use the styro as a hatcher. I hate hatching in the brinsea! Are you hand turning them or are they in auto turners?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by