Hands on hatching and help

I have a muscovy egg that internally pipped, I think, this past Saturday night. When I candled, I saw the beak almost touching the shell, and a foot. Never seen that before. So, last night it looked as though it hadn't moved any, if anything, there was more visible foot and the beak/bill was further away. So there are air holes in case it couldn't position to pip. I'm very hesitant to help since all other muscovy I've hatched usually take FOREVER! Its like a 3-4day process. I would have expected an external pip this morning, maybe evening but Theres no was it will be able to. So, I was thinking ill leave it be until tomorrow morning and see if the veins draw back any and possibly start cracking the egg open. Suggestions??
After 48 hours I'd start an assist, if there is still veining, I'd moisten the membrane and put it back to give it more time.

Hi, I have a broody duck who has been sitting on 13 eggs. Today is day 28. The mother got off of the nest for about 5 minutes to eat and swim this morning, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to see if any eggs were hatching. Well, all 13 had pipped but one egg was squashed. The duckling was still alive so I brought it inside and moistened the membrane with coconut oil and stuck it in the incubator. There are still some veins in the membrane and the duckling has been yawning so I don't think it's ready to hatch yet, but the top of the egg is gone and the duckling keeps trying to push out of the egg. I don't know what to do. It might not get out, but if it does what should I do if it starts bleeding or has unabsorbed yolk?

View attachment 1056926

View attachment 1056931
If it pushes out with yolk unabsorbed but still intact, you can put it in a dish/cup with a damp paper towel (back in the bator) to try to keep it from moving around to much in effort to keep it from rupturing the yolk and give it time to absorb. Bleeding, if minimal, you can apply cornstarch to the navel to staunch bleeding there. If it pushes out with heavy veining in the still intact membrane, it's not good. I only had that happen once, and the chick did not make it.

After 48 hours I'd start an assist, if there is still veining, I'd moisten the membrane and put it back to give it more time.

If it pushes out with yolk unabsorbed but still intact, you can put it in a dish/cup with a damp paper towel (back in the bator) to try to keep it from moving around to much in effort to keep it from rupturing the yolk and give it time to absorb. Bleeding, if minimal, you can apply cornstarch to the navel to staunch bleeding there. If it pushes out with heavy veining in the still intact membrane, it's not good. I only had that happen once, and the chick did not make it.

Thank you for replying! I feel a lot better knowing what to do if it manages to get out and has one of those problems. There are still veins in the membrane but they are not heavy. It is still yawning though. Right now I'm just focusing on keeping the membrane moist and waiting.

My momma duck is on day 24ish.
it's hard to tell what these are going to come out like! I tried checking them, but look at this nest!! I'm just letting her do her thing. She did remove 2 bad ones a couple days ago. Infertile.
(i originally gave her 8 eggs, but the girls added a few more. Last time i was able to count, there were 19, so minus 2, she has at least 17 under this pile

WP_20170626_16_56_16_Rich_LI.jpg

Thank you for replying! I feel a lot better knowing what to do if it manages to get out and has one of those problems. There are still veins in the membrane but they are not heavy. It is still yawning though. Right now I'm just focusing on keeping the membrane moist and waiting.

Sounds like you are doing good!

Sounds like you are doing good!

Thanks! I hope he'll be okay. He's managed to get his head out and is now resting. His bottom half is still in the egg and I can see that he still has some unabsorbed yolk about the size of a nickel. I have everything I need ready to go if he pushes out too early. Hopefully he stays put and absorbs that remaining yolk quickly.

Thanks! I hope he'll be okay. He's managed to get his head out and is now resting. His bottom half is still in the egg and I can see that he still has some unabsorbed yolk about the size of a nickel. I have everything I need ready to go if he pushes out too early. Hopefully he stays put and absorbs that remaining yolk quickly.

Well, the duckling is out! No unabsorbed yolk. His navel is still open, but I put a little antibiotic ointment on it and now he's fluffing up on a towel in the brooder. He seems to be doing well. Thanks again for the advice! I'm glad he got out fine and I didn't have to do anything, but now I'll be prepared if something like this happens again.

That's great! Congrats!
Well, the duckling is out! No unabsorbed yolk. His navel is still open, but I put a little antibiotic ointment on it and now he's fluffing up on a towel in the brooder. He seems to be doing well. Thanks again for the advice! I'm glad he got out fine and I didn't have to do anything, but now I'll be prepared if something like this happens again.

I'm so glad I decided to help my chick. Out of 4 eggs only one hatched. I decided to help out and remove some shell after she started to break some of the shell. I removed the shell around her head. The membrane was stuck a little on her head and I had to remove it. Once her head was free I put her back in the incubator and let her do the rest. She is a happy and healthy Showgirl Silkie.

Attachments

• IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4248.JPG
    IMG_4248.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4249.JPG
    IMG_4249.JPG
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4250.JPG
    IMG_4250.JPG