Hands on hatching and help

So, I went ahead and candled and marked air cells. All 14 of the shipped silkie eggs that I thought were developing are. A couple of them look real faint though. Almost like the membrane is thick and makes it hard to see. I can see the veining, but not the embryo itself, so we will just wait and see. those veins have to go to some place.  All 9 of the Spitzhauben eggs are developing and from what I can tell 5 out 6 of the green ones are developing. The air cells of the green ones actually look decent too.  So we've made it one week so far. The air cells on the silkies vary widely, so they give me a little concern, but overall I t hink they are doing well. 

Hmm makes me wonder if silkies have a thicker membrane? Dunno keep us posted though!

That was a great article! I think I just need to chill out a little and hope for lots of action tomorrow.

If there is a chick in trouble trying to hatch and my humidity is in the high 60's, should I really try to boost humidity to the mid 70's before opening the incubator? Would spritzing hot water while opening the incubator keep from drying out pips (assuming I didn't spritz water Into the eggs?)

That was a great article! I think I just need to chill out a little and hope for lots of action tomorrow.

If there is a chick in trouble trying to hatch and my humidity is in the high 60's, should I really try to boost humidity to the mid 70's before opening the incubator? Would spritzing hot water while opening the incubator keep from drying out pips (assuming I didn't spritz water Into the eggs?)
TY
When I assist I like at least 70%. I keep a couple wet sponges up on the screen at egg level so if I need to boost humidity I just rewet my sponge and stick it back in there. Some people spritz the inside of the bator, some use wet paper towels or scraps of cloth.

TY
When I assist I like at least 70%. I keep a couple wet sponges up on the screen at egg level so if I need to boost humidity I just rewet my sponge and stick it back in there. Some people spritz the inside of the bator, some use wet paper towels or scraps of cloth.
Ok. That's what I'll plan to do! Thank you!

Did you pull it completely out of the shell? Was it positioned correctly, or deformed in any way? Sometimes the reason they pip in the wrong spot is because of some unknown development issue and it may have just been fate. And I'm not blaming you, but is it possible that you severed a major blood vessel? Just grasping... Hard to guess without more details
this was not the RD that has pipped at the wrong end. this is a 2nd RD that pipped, zipped and tried to hatch this morning after the 1st RD.
the 1st RD is still alive and still in the same position. it has not zipped any or broken anymore shell off or opened the membrane up anymore.
And, yes, i opened the dead one and it was fully absorbed and in correct position. there were some openings in the membrane for air to get in, i dont know why it died?? maybe b/c i kept opening up the bator for the 1st RD??? I am close to giving up on hatching... this is heartbreaking to me.

this was not the RD that has pipped at the wrong end. this is a 2nd RD that pipped, zipped and tried to hatch this morning after the 1st RD.
the 1st RD is still alive and still in the same position. it has not zipped any or broken anymore shell off or opened the membrane up anymore.
And, yes, i opened the dead one and it was fully absorbed and in correct position. there were some openings in the membrane for air to get in, i dont know why it died?? maybe b/c i kept opening up the bator for the 1st RD??? I am close to giving up on hatching... this is heartbreaking to me.

Feeling your pain. Hang in there.

I've got a circulated air incubator that fluctuates like crazy.  So I have been trying to keep it at 98.5-99.5 but there are hot and cold spots all over in it.  Humidity is 75%
does your bator have a temp probe attached to a wire? like this:
can you see the "L" shaped probe? that is the heat thermometer. is yours like this? if so, i use to have temp spikes until i make sure i place the probe directly under the heater. does this make sense? try this and see if it makes a diff w/your temp spikes.

Question- Does making a safe hole delay the hatching egg??
I'm asking because I have a shipped duck egg on day 27. Inner pip not external pip. There are large veins and the duckling is alive. BUT there is also some free fluid in the air cell. It looks like clear yellow fluid.
Do I need to make a safe hole?? And what is the fluid?? Any ideas??

Could not get the fluid to show up in a pic. The ducklings head is on the right.
Thanks Linda
Hi, is the duckling doing ok?? is she peeping? I would leave her for awhile and see if she tries to externally pip. IMO

does your bator have a temp probe attached to a wire? like this: can you see the "L" shaped probe? that is the heat thermometer. is yours like this? if so, i use to have temp spikes until i make sure i place the probe directly under the heater. does this make sense? try this and see if it makes a diff w/your temp spikes.
I've seen people use golf balls or something similar to anchor it down so that it stays in one place to stop temp fluctuations.

Back
Top Bottom