Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Ah, thanks Friday! That's the picture I was going by and four of the 8 look more like that day 18, but the other four look to be right on track. That's the chart thingy I have hung up by the incubator because I was having so much trouble with the air cells. Good to know I can raise that humidity a bit.

By the way, I was told you were to the go-to expert on shipped eggs and altitude. Don't know if you saw my response but we really aren't that high here in the Big Horn Basin...just under 4000 ft so that's probably a non-issue. I won some eggs (again! I need to quit entering BYC contests and start buying lottery tickets!) and those were shipped yesterday, they are already in Casper at the moment and on route to destination, which means here tomorrow. They are coming from Colorado so maybe I don't have much to worry about with these!!

Thanks again. Gonna go up the humidity a bit.

1 person likes this.
  2. BigWeenMachine

BigWeenMachine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2015
    My cool spot is bottom right on mine

3. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    Yea, it was brand new when I started 28 days ago. So these chicks are now into day 29 by about 4 hours. I have been watching the pipped egg since about 2 this afternoon. Still can't get through the shell and I can look in there and watch that bump go up and down, up and down every time I look in. I think he is stuck as he pipped 38 hours ago and can't even get through the shell. The other 2 I am betting are dead. No movement or progress since the first pip. Can't even get a peep out of any of the 3 in there. Gonna start pulling them out to see what is going on.

4. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    So I finally had to do it since I couldn't sleep wondering if I was letting it die in there overnight. Were about 42 hours since pip and I finally had to check and see what in the heck was going on with the pipper. I opened a small hole with tweezers where the pip was and I don't know what I'm looking at. His lil beak is chattering at me with a really weak peep and is really weakly and slowly moving is mouth open and tryin to peck at the shell. He looks exhausted and I dunno if he is positioned right to get out on his own. The air sac membrane inside almost looks dried out and I was going to try and pull that sack membrane open for him but there was a big fat vein going through it. Not sure if that means I need to wait cos he's not ready or if there is supposed to be a vein in the air sack membrane or what.

He did take a couple of deep breaths which I read meant they are trying to absorb the yolk so maybe he isn't ready to come out yet. I put him back in there with the big hole in his shell and I am gonna try to get some sleep. Will he be okay with that hole I made now? Does that vein in the air sac seem right? Should I try to work him out of there or leave him be? Sooo confused and just don't know why it is taking so long when the longest I have heard an egg taking to hatch after pip is 36 hours..... We are now at 28 days and 7 hours.

5. jlashaw

jlashaw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015

First things first, if there is blood in the vessels of the membrane, it's not ready. Please don't assist the chick until the blood is gone. There might be a tiny bit in the bottom of the egg but when it's ready, you shouldn't see much by its beek. Your bator temps are too low so the development of the chicks is behind. It takes up to 48 hours for them to finish absorbing the yolk. They have to chew threw their membrane and work their way out. The hole the chick created is normal, however, the rest of the membrane could dry out where you opened it up. If it is turning yellow then it is drying so you can put Vaseline or Neosporin on it to help keep it moist. im sorry you're going through this.

6. jlashaw

jlashaw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015

I have this same bator. It is a still air so I put my own fan in it and I placed it inside a fruit flat and I cover it with one also. My hatch rate is insane now. These are not insulated good at all so if your house isn't at a steady 70* without drafts, the temps bounce around. My temp doesn't move at all since using the box. I don't use either one of my red plugs either.

7. BigWeenMachine

May 6, 2015
    Thanks for the info. You are the first person to tell me it could take up to 48 hours, although it appears we would eclipse that soon too. 45 and counting..... Thought we had something wrong but I am gonna wait it out. Guess I will just have to deal with my 3 hours of consistently interrupted sleep thanks to Noisy McPeepsalot, our lone hatcher who screamed all night from the brooder because he wanted someone to hold him..... Ugh, this is getting really annoying waiting for these lil turds....

8. CyndiD

CyndiD Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2015
    Northern Idaho
    sorry you are having troubles.. did you pull your eggs? what did you find? are any alive? i sure hope so.

9. lovesanimals101

lovesanimals101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2015
    Hi! Any tips on how to raise humidity in incubator...having trouble raising humidity and what should I have it at, it is to low now

10. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Yep my Hova is consistently lower every time. In my house, ambient humidity is usually 45-50% on average so we're kind of low to begin with. When I am first heating up the bators before adding eggs, the Hova is usually 35% then goes up to low 40's when I add the eggs until after about 7-10 days it will drop into the low 30's then I add a sponge. I incubate Marans a lot so I run lower humidity with them, otherwise the air cells are too small at lockdown.
    Well we are pretty close then! My husband is from WV [​IMG] He lived in the Mannington area back in the day when he was in high school lol. Can't wait to see your babies! Any activity in the bator this morning?
    Aww what a cutie!!
    That's amazing all the shipped silkie eggs are developing!! The others sound very promising too!
    I've had mixed results with shipped eggs. Some hatches I had several left in the bator that looked viable at lockdown but never pipped. Others I had excellent hatch rates that you would never know they shipped 1000 miles. It appears to me that some eggs are just tougher than others. They withstand shipping stress better and are stronger chicks at hatch. There are so many variables affecting eggs: Age, health and nutrition of breeder birds, how eggs are packaged, how they are handled during transit, temperatures, incubation methods. They all play a big part. Any one or combination of those things go wrong and it can negatively affect your hatch. Yes it can be very normal to see no activity on day 20. Sometimes they don't do much on day 21 either then you look in the incubator and you start seeing pips :) its nerve wracking for sure!! I think on the responsibility and helping issue there are 3 camps of people: the helpers who say I set these eggs so I will do my best to give each hatchling a chance. I personally cannot stand by and watch any animal struggle or suffer. Before staying home with my kids I was a Vet Tech for many years so I can't imagine not helping lol. Camp 2 are your people who just don't know what to do or how to do it. They've either been scared by Camp 3 to not help or haven't educated themselves yet. Camp 3 are people who are strictly hands-off. The motto is only the strong survive. They believe weak chicks shouldn't be in the flock so you shouldn't help if they don't hatch. They don't splint spraddle legs or fret over the incubator. So yes, what you're feeling is normal [​IMG] I was a nervous wreck my first hatch but it does get better! I still have nose prints on the incubator lol but the more you hatch, the more confidence you'll have.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by