Hands on hatching and help

To post a video
Post it to YouTube and then put the link in here
It let me post one video on here of one that looks like it maybe trying to internally pip. I'm not sure why it won't let me post the other one.
Shadowing happens right before internal pip
Is the baby moving ?
I have got pretty good at looking at the movement from shadowing
If it’s just flickering here and there the baby isn’t breathing yet
If it’s up and down in a pattern then baby is breathing and in the air cell
The baby is moving a lot! I can see it's still behind the membrane of the air cell but like I said I see the movement a lot and its up and down into the air cell but hasn't broken through the air cell yet

Shadowing happens right before internal pip
Is the baby moving ?
I have got pretty good at looking at the movement from shadowing
If it’s just flickering here and there the baby isn’t breathing yet
If it’s up and down in a pattern then baby is breathing and in the air cell
I'm kinda worried that the rest of them didn't survive bc out of 14 of them that's the only one with any kind of movement now.

Hopefully not
Sometimes at this stage it’s hard to see movement you can check again in the morning
It’s safe to to candle until external pip
Ok thank you.. my husband keeps telling me to leave them be and stop candling them he's afraid I'm going to kill them if I keep candling them nightly.. I only do it now since it's been over 21 days. I didn't touch them or open the incubator unless I was adding water for humidity level for the last 3 days of incubation but when they didn't hatch Saturday night I had to know what was going on so I candled them and have been every night since . Am I doing it to much ? I'm just full of worry 🤦

Ok thank you.. my husband keeps telling me to leave them be and stop candling them he's afraid I'm going to kill them if I keep candling them nightly.. I only do it now since it's been over 21 days. I didn't touch them or open the incubator unless I was adding water for humidity level for the last 3 days of incubation but when they didn't hatch Saturday night I had to know what was going on so I candled them and have been every night since . Am I doing it to much ? I'm just full of worry 🤦
I candle mine everyday from day 1 till I see external pip
I have got 100 % hatch rate
But when I do candle after lockdown I keep the egg in the same position it is laying in the bator
I don’t stand it up I turn my light sideways instead

I don't think you can go wrong with making a safety hole at the air cell end. I did that and then opened the safety hole up so I could see what was going on, and added some neosporin (you can use vaseline, coconut oil, olive oil to keep the membrane moist) after I opened up the safety hole. The Assisted Hatching article was super helpful in knowing what to do. All the ones I opened up had already internally pipped, so I was super glad I made the safety hole. If they looked like they were trying to zip and move on their own, I let them. If they ran into trouble, I would open up the air cell more until they could manage. I didn't mess with the membrane, other than moistening it, until after the blood had receded from the membrane, and after the baby had finished "chewing" motions with its beak. After the chewing motions were over, they basically started zipping on their own.

I may have helped a bit, but I think my chicks could have done it on their own, I was just worried. Particularly for the ones that were coming out the wrong end of the egg - I just made sure their external pips were actually open and kept an eye on the beaks to make sure the air path remained clear. Also kept an eye out for shrink wrapping.

It can be so hard to know what to do. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom